Job ID 2019-1525
WebMD is the most recognized and trusted brand of health information and the leading provider of health information services, serving consumers, physicians, healthcare professionals, employers and health plans through our public and private online portals and WebMD the Magazine. The WebMD Health Network includes WebMD, Medscape, MedicineNet, eMedicine, RxList, theheart.org and Medscape Education. Our consumer portals and mobile health applications provide engaging, relevant and credible health and wellness information, personalized health assessment tools and access to online communities.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or veteran status.
Do you want to have an impact on more than 85 million people a month through the designs you create? Would you relish the opportunity to communicate critical medical information to health care providers and patients alike? If so, read on.
WebMD is seeking a passionate, talented and experienced Lead Designer to join our design team and create premium and strategic experiences for our users and our clients. The Lead Designer will report directly to the Director of UX & Design, and is responsible for executing a variety of interactive and innovative experiences that experiment with emerging technologies. S/he will manage a team of designers, helping ensure they deliver consistently high quality while meeting critical deadlines.
Candidates will have portfolios that demonstrate technical proficiency, solid understanding of visual design, and a smart UX sensibility. Candidates are expected to be quick learners with creative ideas and have the proven ability to work collaboratively. Original, flexible, critical thinkers who communicate and collaborate well with a wide range of contributors and stakeholders will thrive.
WebMD's design team embraces curiosity, integrity, and tenacious problem-solving, and the Lead Designer will contribute to this culture while pushing us to innovate and do our best work.
What you’ll do
- Translate complex ideas into visually elegant, user-friendly designs
- Ask the right questions to understand both the client’s position and users’ problems, and come up with solutions that benefit both
- Collaborate and iterate with product and engineering teams to find elegant but practical solutions to design challenges and user’s needs
- Work closely with other designers and UX designers to share work-in-progress and synthesize feedback with other members of the design team, participating in regular design critique, distributing knowledge, and providing input on others’ work
- Package and deliver your designs in impeccable form for implementation, buttoning up edge cases and functional requirements, while regularly conversing with the engineering and product teams
- Ensure the quality of your work is carried through to the real user experience, assisting with QA of designs in-app and in-browser
- Present your work to various stakeholders, explaining your creative process and how your final design aligns with the business goals
- Provide mentorship and support to other designers on the team
- Keep up with the latest design trends and mobile innovations to design beautiful user experiences
- Build and nurture strong relationships with your stakeholders and business partners
- A portfolio of work demonstrating your strong visual design talent, design process and passion for the craft – online or pdf is required for consideration
- 5+ years of interactive design experience
- Bachelor’s degree in Graphic Design, Visual Communications or related field or related field preferably from a School of Art and Design; or equivalent experience
- Proficient in Sketch, Marvel, Zeplin, Adobe CS and other prototyping software
- Advanced verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced environment with diverse cross-functional teams and on multiple projects simultaneously
- The ability to work both autonomously and as part of a team
- Motivated and organized. Dedicated and accountable for the quality of designs, and being able to deliver in a timely manner.
- Flexible and professional under pressure
- Experience delivering visual and motion design across multiple platforms like iOS, Android
- Experience facilitating design sprints, design studio workshops, etc.
- Experience mentoring and leading other designers