Site Reliability Systems Engineer
Job ID 2019-1615
WebMD is the most recognized and trusted brand of health information and the leading provider of health information services, serving consumers, physicians, healthcare professionals, employers and health plans through our public and private online portals and WebMD the Magazine. The WebMD Health Network includes WebMD, Medscape, MedicineNet, eMedicine, RxList, theheart.org and Medscape Education. Our consumer portals and mobile health applications provide engaging, relevant and credible health and wellness information, personalized health assessment tools and access to online communities.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or veteran status.
WebMD is looking for a proactive Site Reliability Systems Engineer who shares our passion for technology and innovation. You will be working on a team of overseeing infrastructure of content management systems and platform applications. The right person has a deeply-rooted passion for customer service and transparency. In this role, all of your technical colleagues in development, QA, and operations are your customers. The tools you will be deploying and supporting are the required building blocks for your colleagues to be successful.
What You Will Be Doing at WebMD
- Administering/supporting/configuring our monitoring, deployment, and automation tools, including participation in an on-call rotation
- Automate all provisioning and routine tasks (primarily via Chef recipes, but also ruby, python, bash, Powershell, etc)
- Work with both homegrown applications and commercial products (such as uDeploy and Documentum)
- Writing and debugging Chef cookbooks, and helping your colleagues with their automation tasks
- Working with a focus on Linux and Windows platforms
What's In It For You
Besides a competitive compensation package, you'll be working with a great group of technologists interested in always finding the right tool for the job in a culture that encourages innovation. You will have an opportunity to learn the newest tools in web technology. If you're ready to take on some new technical challenges at a well-respected company, we'd love to hear from you.
What You Need For This Position (minimum qualifications)
- 3+ years experience in the Technology Operations, DevOps, or similar
- 3+ years experience supporting large-scale websites or operations tools in a Linux environment provisioning servers
- Systems and server administration experience with heavy experience writing Linux and/or Windows scripts
- Experience with a configuration management tool, such as Chef or Puppet is a big plus
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, or a related field; or a total of at least 5 years of experience in IT
- Extensive experience writing scripts to automate tasks and interact with other systems/APIs (python or ruby, preferred)
- Preferred experience using Atlassian tools such as JIRA, Confluence, and BitBucket (git)
... and if you have the following, even better! (preferred qualifications)
- Experience working in hybrid environments (on premise and public cloud)
- Chef for configuration management
- Strong coding in Ruby
- Experience with containerization with Kubernetes or Docker
- Experience using monitoring tools, such as Circonus, Prometheus or Nagios
- Experience using orchestration / remote execution tools, such as Saltstack and Rundeck
- Strong written and verbal English language skills