Manager, Simulation UX & Design
Job ID 2019-1538
Medscape, a division of WebMD, develops and hosts physician portals and related mobile applications that make it easier for physicians and healthcare professionals to access clinical reference sources, stay abreast of the latest clinical information, learn about new treatment options, earn continuing medical education credits and communicate with peers.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or veteran status.
We are looking for a full-time Manager of UX & Design to work on the portfolio of WebMD/Medscape software products (MedSims, MedChallenge, Virtual Patient Simulation, et al.) Our award-winning web applications seek to improve the knowledge, competence, patient safety, and performance of healthcare professionals globally. As part of our growing design team, you’ll help to bring new features, brand assets, and products to life. Get ready!
WebMD’s Durham office offers a fun, relaxed and flexible work environment with a great group of diverse individuals -- a blend of designers, developers, product managers, simulation designers, medical directors, and multimedia producers (think medical literature in the front, ping pong table in the back).
Here’s some of what you’ll do as part of the team:
- Shape the next generation of educational software products for the medical community
- Make a real-world impact by making doctors better health providers (yep, we have the most significant global online community, so no pressure…)
- Translate complex ideas and requirements into elegant and delightful user experiences
- Manage a growing team of UI/UX Designers
- Direct the design vision for 5+ software products in the healthcare verticals
- Work as a player/coach – with equal time spent having high-level conversations and creating prototypes for new features/applications
- Design for a variety of mediums, including for the screen, AR/VR, etc.
- Drive the user research process and evangelize the user-centric design
- Be responsible for our design system and governance of its use throughout the organization
- Work in concert with our product management, development, and content/educational managers to build experiences that align with our brand, provide real customer value, and grow our engaged audience.
- Bachelor's degree in interaction design, visual design or equivalent professional experience
- 5+ years of experience as a UX designer, interaction designer or similar, preferably with time spent in a lead or senior role
- Thorough knowledge and expertise across a range of design approaches and lo-fi & high-fi prototyping skills
- Strong presentational skills – you can get others excited about your design solutions, and effectively communicate the reasoning behind your decisions
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment and under tight deadlines
- Demonstrated proficiency in tools like Sketch, Invision, Marvel and Adobe Creative Cloud
- A portfolio of work that showcases your problem-solving ability and visual design chops
- Experience with user research, including usability testing, data analysis, interviews, etc.
Our ideal team member is:
- Ready for an adventure! And continually looking for new approaches, tools and (fill in the blank) to make a stronger and more usable product for our end-users (e.g., the HCP’s taking care of all of our families each day)
- Excited about delivering, defending and convincing senior leadership the teams UX decisions
- Rock-solid under pressure and able to manage shifts in requirements in stride
- Able to work effectively with little direction
- Experienced working directly with development and product management leads
- Eager to take ownership of the products and drive constant improvement
- Experienced in management, especially in mentoring and developing design talent
- Experienced in designing for healthcare, education or games