JHI Editor, Associate
Job ID 2019-1458
Jobson Healthcare Information (JHI) is a premier healthcare information and marketing services provider, with leading positions in a variety of growing healthcare markets such as pharmacy, eye care, clinician (physicians, nurse practitioners and physician assistants) and the managed markets (managed care, hospitals and government). Through its diversified, multi-media portfolio of marketing services, information databases, publications, medical education programs, events, websites and other digital and traditional media services, JHI is uniquely positioned to inform and educate a highly targeted network of approximately one million healthcare professionals across multiple specialties.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or veteran status.
Are you a talented writer who’s interested in medicine and/or science? Want to develop your journalism skills and make a difference in the lives of a professional audience? Review of Ophthalmology, a leading trade publication for ophthalmologists in the United States, is hiring an Associate Editor to work at our Newtown Square, PA office. Successful candidates will be able to write compelling copy, edit manuscripts on a wide array of ophthalmic topics (such as surgical techniques, disease diagnosis, practice management and new technology) and find creative ways to connect with readers. (Prior knowledge of the field isn’t required for this position, though it would help.) The candidate will also maintain the magazine’s website and periodically update its social media accounts. This is a job for wordsmiths confident in their ability to communicate scientific topics to well-educated physicians.
Responsibilities include but aren’t limited to:
- Writing and editing feature articles, columns and news stories about ophthalmology and associated topics.
- Ensuring all assignments meet quality standards for accuracy, clarity and reader impact, and rewriting/reorganizing drafts as needed.
- Meeting all deadlines set by the Editor.
- Creating collaborative relationships with authors when needed, guiding them through the submission/revision/layout process.
- Uploading the magazine to the website and periodically updating our social media pages; maintaining website integrity.
- Generating layout ideas with Editor and Art Director, and copyfitting and proofreading page layouts.
- Participating in the editorial planning process, including suggesting ideas for future articles.
- Traveling to industry conferences as needed.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Excellent, proven command of written language is essential.
- One to two years in an editorial position preferred, and two writing samples are required. Recent grads with writing samples will also be considered.
- Preferred: experience in journalism/feature writing, medical education, medical publishing (ophthalmology is a plus), pharmaceuticals or health care.
- The ability to research article topics and conduct thorough, on-target interviews with sources on the way to producing the finished product.
- Basic competence in Microsoft Word and Adobe Creative Suite software (primarily InDesign).
- Understanding of digital publishing software and services (content management systems, web-page design, HTML mark up and social media).
- The ability to multitask in fast-paced environment to meet tight deadlines.
- Strong organizational and project management skills.