UI/UX Designer, EarthRanger
Love animals? Have you always wanted to apply your technical and creative expertise to a product that protects endangered species on a day-to-day basis? You don’t have to decide between a technical career and a deeply moving, important calling. Seattle-based Vulcan Inc. is looking for our next UI/UX Designer to help drive Vulcan’s EarthRanger project.
Vulcan was founded in 1986 by Paul G. Allen and Jody Allen with a mission to make and leave the world a better place. We work with partners to solve some of the world’s biggest challenges facing oceans, climate, conservation, and communities. Whether global or local, our work for good is financed by our thoughtful investing and innovative development.
Vulcan believes in recognizing and including all voices. From internal initiatives to the communities and causes we support, we're on a mission to weave diversity, equity, and inclusion into the fabric of everything we do. We are actively investigating and applying best practices in equity and inclusion to our recruiting, hiring, retention and benefits programs. We know that creating a vibrant, diverse culture is essential to achieving our goals of improving the world through sustainable real estate development and strategic capital investments that help fuel social and environmental impact in ocean health, wildlife conservation, combating climate change and supporting vibrant communities.
EarthRanger is a software solution that helps conservationists make informed operational decisions. We help prevent the poaching of endangered species, fight deforestation, promote human-wildlife coexistence, and advocate for legal protection of wildlife. We do this by integrating real-time data from 60+ hardware sensors (animal trackers, radios, vehicles, etc), rangers, patrols, remote imaging, etc. and providing visibility and analysis of conservation activities across landscapes. More than 125 conservation organizations use EarthRanger today, from iconic national parks like Masai Mara Reserve in Kenya and North Luangwa National Park in Zambia, to species-specific conservation programs like the Snow Leopard Trust in Mongolia and Panthera’s Mountain Lion Program in Washington state.
You will collaborate with our users, NGOs, and academic partners to understand, design and deliver EarthRanger functionality to aid in wildlife conservation. You will have the opportunity to design, build, and deploy cutting-edge products that will have a global impact. As a UI/UX Designer on the EarthRanger product team, you will conduct research, map user flows, and create designs for digital experiences for EarthRanger products, both web and mobile based.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Work with inspirational members of the conservation community to develop a deep understanding and empathy for them and their work.
- Partner with users, program management, and engineers to deliver high-quality products that thrill users and meet conservation goals.
- Practice user-centered design by designing and executing user research.
- Weigh tradeoffs on design decisions and help prioritize development activities, incorporating data, user feedback, and technical constraints/opportunities.
- Research and propose novel technical solutions to improve end-product visualizations of IoT based sensor data and other data streams.
- Create diagrams, wireframes, and mockups to communicate high-level design strategies and detailed interaction behaviors.
- Communicate complex, interactive design concepts clearly and persuasively, diplomatically solicit and apply feedback from stakeholders, and collaborate with developers to realize design vision.
- Deeply passionate about protecting animals and the environment.
- Expert at creating functional, creative and beautiful interfaces.
- An online portfolio which demonstrates top-tier excellence in visual design across multiple verticals and platforms (web/mobile/desktop).
- Minimum of 4 years designing engaging interfaces at a senior level.
- Proven ability to distill user findings into actionable proposals.
- Experience conducting user interviews, writing surveys, and analyzing qualitative and quantitative data.
- Strong presentation, communication, project management, and organizational skills.
- Action-oriented and the ability to juggle multiple priorities and effectively deliver in a fast-paced, dynamic environment.
- Comprehensive understanding of design principles, color theory, typography, and weighting.
- Expert-level experience with Adobe CC/Sketch/InVision and User Survey Tools.
- Bachelor’s degree (B.A. or B.S.) from accredited institution in a related field and 4+ years relevant experience, OR equivalent combination of education and experience.
Your characteristics include:
- Innovation, collaboration and trustworthiness with an entrepreneurial spirit.
- An authentic appreciation for Vulcan’s mission to solve the world’s toughest problems.
- Ability to work effectively and collaboratively in an evolving, dynamic environment.
- A sense of humor and an appreciation for sharing in success with teammates.
- A keen emotional intelligence quotient and a contained ego.
- Demonstrated honesty, responsibility, integrity and fulfillment of commitments.
We’re committed to inclusion and equal opportunity
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The job description listed above is representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Vulcan Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. Every qualified applicant will be considered for employment. We do not discriminate based on race, color, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, pregnancy, parental status, national origin, age, disability (physical or mental), family medical history or genetic information, political affiliation, military service, or other protected class.