Staff Accountant (Business Operations)
Seattle-based Vulcan Inc. is looking for our next Staff Accountant to work on the Corporate Finance team.
A numbers person with a passion to make a difference in the world? Do you want to take your skills and passions to the next level at an organization that’s bring experts together to solve the biggest challenges?
Nice to meet you, we’re Vulcan.
Empowered by our founder Paul Allen’s vision, our mission at Vulcan is to improve our planet by tackling the world’s toughest problems. We do that through scientific and technological breakthroughs, catalytic philanthropy, and inspirational experiences, motivated by Paul’s lifelong question: “What solution should exist that doesn’t?”
Our “And” is the idea of bringing together a diversity of people, ideas, disciplines, approaches…in service of Paul Allen’s agenda for a better world. Taking an unorthodox approach to assemble elements that ordinarily would not be seen together. Philanthropy and profit-seeking enterprise. Brain science and art… You see that in the work we do. You see it in our people. And, is a way of life for us.
Come and work with us if you want to embrace your ‘And’ game. Learn about a broader range of subjects than you ever thought possible. Work across a variety of disciplines, projects, problems. Experience in one day what most people would not experience in ten years in their career. A place where #onlyatvulcan is not just a clever tagline, but is something you’ll find yourself saying. Constantly.
On our Finance team, that means you will be a strong fiduciary partner and trusted advisor, and leverage technology to maximize the impact of Vulcan’s world changing initiatives. And, you will be exposed to a remarkable variety of business and investment approaches.
As a member on our team you will…
- Assist in the monthly close process by preparing journal entries, reports, analysis, and supporting schedules, as needed, under the direction of management.
- Review contracts and advise on appropriate accounting treatment
- Reconcile accounting system to the GL and effectively resolve discrepancies
- Prepare asset management reports and work with accountants to ensure accuracy of the information presented.
- Assist in the preparation of tax schedules
- Assist with bank draws, file uploads, and project reporting
- Assist with duties related to quarterly forecasting and annual budgeting process
- Perform special projects under the direction of management, and respond appropriately to requests from other company personnel
You will bring this experience and skillsets…
- Bachelor’s degree (B.A or B.S.) in accounting from an accredited institution and two years relevant accounting experience. CPA is preferred
- Detail oriented, organized, and analytical in approach to tasks.
- High degree of flexibility and customer service attitude.
- Basic knowledge of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP) and general ledger accounting
- Intermediate to advanced knowledge of MS Office (Excel and Outlook especially), Windows.
- Accounting software/systems experience (PeopleSoft, Oracle, or other similar accounting systems) is preferred
Your characteristics include:
- Innovation, collaboration and trustworthiness with an entrepreneurial spirit.
- An authentic appreciation for Vulcan’s mission to solve the world’s toughest problems.
- Ability to work effectively and collaboratively in an evolving, dynamic environment.
- A sense of humor and an appreciation for sharing in success with teammates.
- A keen emotional intelligence quotient and a contained ego.
- Demonstrated honesty, responsibility, integrity and fulfillment of commitments.
- And last but not least, grit. Your demonstrated, sustained and exuberant passion over the long-haul equals grit. We value and celebrate it.
We’re committed to inclusion and equal opportunity.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The job description listed above is representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Vulcan Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. Every qualified applicant will be considered for employment. We do not discriminate based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, age, national origin, marital status, sex, disability, political ideology, or veteran status, or other protected class.
If you need accommodation during the application or hiring process, please contact Human Resources at email@example.com or your recruiter.