Senior Research Software Engineer, Machine Learning
Seattle-based Vulcan Inc. is looking for our next Machine Learning Expert to join our Philanthropic Impact team.
… an experienced Machine Learning professional with a passion to make a difference and tackle some of the world’s hardest problems?
Nice to meet you, we’re Vulcan!
Empowered by our founder Paul Allen’s vision, our mission at Vulcan is to make and leave the world a better place. We do that through scientific and technological breakthroughs, catalytic philanthropy, and inspirational experiences, motivated by Paul’s lifelong question: “What solution should exist that doesn’t?”
Our “And” is the idea of bringing together a diversity of people, ideas, disciplines, approaches…in service of Paul Allen’s agenda for a better world. Taking an unorthodox approach to assemble elements that ordinarily would not be seen together. Philanthropy and profit-seeking enterprise. Brain science and art…you see that in the work we do. You see it in our people. And, is a way of life for us.
Come and work with us if you want to embrace your ‘And’ game. Learn about a broader range of subjects than you ever thought possible. Work across a variety of disciplines, projects, problems. Experience in one day what most people would not experience in ten years in their career. A place where #onlyatvulcan is not just a clever tagline, but is something you’ll find yourself saying. Constantly.
About this role…..
Vulcan Inc. is looking for a Senior ML Research Software Engineer Expert. At Vulcan, you’ll join a top-notch technology team that is dedicated to solving some of the world’s toughest problems. Your analytical and technical skills will make a difference: you will work on projects that are making a real impact on the lives of others.
Artificial Intelligence/Deep Learning is making a major impact across research and industry, including the largest internet companies and the most exciting startups. This position offers the unique opportunity to have a large impact across Vulcan’s philanthropy efforts in areas such as ocean health and biodiversity conservation towards Vulcan’s mission to make and leave the world a better place.
More specifically, possible projects that you would work on include using satellite and shipping vessel beacon data to model the behavior of bad actors worldwide and to identify illegal fishing actions, automating census taking for large African megafauna and automating the calculation of health metrics for Puget Sound Orcas towards swifter policy actions.
As a member on our team you will…
The candidate is expected to work within the Machine Learning team to:
- Define innovative solutions for philanthropy problems which have potential ML solutions.
- Analyze ML-related problems for multiple applications.
- Prototype and build solutions.
- Understand and analyze the interplay of hardware and software architectures.
- Collaborate with other teams across Vulcan.
- Demonstrate honesty, responsibility, integrity and fulfillment of commitments.
You will bring this experience and skillset…
- MS degree plus 8 years industry experience or PhD degree plus 5 years industry experience in Machine Learning, Computer Science, or related technical field.
- Strong theoretical and hands-on experience in Machine Learning and Computer Vision.
- Hands-on experience with modern ML frameworks: e.g. TensorFlow, Keras, PyTorch etc.
- Programming experience with Python and/or other scientific computing languages/platforms.
- Proven track record of delivering solutions for challenging problems.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Exceptional attention to detail and organizational skills.
- Project management skills.
- Experience partnering with stakeholders and clients to ensure business practices and operational support are consistent with company and organizational objectives.
- Research publications and/or history of contributions to the open-source community.
Special remarks regarding work environment
- Travel estimated to be 10% depending on project needs.
- Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
We’re committed to inclusion and equal opportunity
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The job description listed above is representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Vulcan Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. Every qualified applicant will be considered for employment. We do not discriminate based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, age, national origin, marital status, sex, disability, political ideology, or veteran status, or other protected class.
If you need accommodation during the application or hiring process, please contact Human Resources at email@example.com or your recruiter.