Vulcan is seeking a Maritime Analyst to join the Skylight team! Skylight is committed to catalyzing impact and transparency within global ocean health and security communities by providing users best-in-class maritime data and awareness tools to counter-IUU fishing, support marine protected area management, and preserve marine biodiversity. At an operational level, Skylight enables local compliance authorities to detect-suspect events in real-time to drive effective maritime enforcement operations. Skylight’s data and analysis is further used to help assist policy and decision makers with implementing ocean initiatives and policy.
The Maritime Analyst is responsible for providing analysis to current and future Skylight users across breadth of use-cases leveraging our unique satellite-based technology, vessel activity data, and machine-learning capabilities, contribute to research and development of new alerts and features, and support engagements and training across the maritime compliance and ocean conservation communities. The ideal Maritime Analyst will be technically deep, passionate about protecting important world ecosystems, and experienced with customer and/or partner interaction across the world.ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Perform and produce operational and strategic situational awareness analysis reports for customer or partner areas of interest based on observed vessel activity, satellite imagery, and variety of vessel databases
- Produce geospatial data analysis and visualizations for vessel tracks, port history, activity characteristics for internal development and customer or partner deliverables
- Conduct vessel network analysis and produce visualizations for customers and partners deliverables
- Contribute analysis to case studies and white papers on a variety of topics in maritime security, IUU Fishing, MPA management, conservation, etc.
- Develop training material and user specific resources for on-boarding and sustained engagement
- Collect user feedback from engagements to provide to product manager to inform Skylight’s roadmap
- Interface with external partners and customers including enforcement personnel, government agencies, and partner NGOs providing actionable intelligence and analysis around maritime security, illegal fishing, and ocean health issues
Use maritime expertise to research proposed Skylight features and assess improvements for existing features for a variety of ocean health and security use cases
Required Experience and Skills:
- 5+ years of experience in conducting analysis and providing actionable intelligence regarding illegal fishing, ocean health, and/or similar maritime domain awareness analysis activities
- Experience collecting and analyzing relevant data from multiple disparate sources
- Highly collaborative and works well in a cross functional team setting
- Superior customer facing and oral presentation & communication skills are required
- Excellent writing skills is a prerequisite
- Good judgement, able to make and justify recommendations
- A task-oriented and inclusive style is needed to achieve ambitious goals
- Self-starter and initiative are required
- Experience with interpreting satellite imagery, such as Synthetic Aperture Radar (SAR), and Electro-Optical (EO) imagery
- Experience with data visualization software such as GIS, R-studio, Power-Bi, and/or Google Analytics.
Desirable Experience and Skills:
- Expertise with international fisheries, satellite data, and various modes of vessel detection
- Maritime experience with NOAA, US Coast Guard, US Navy, civilian fishing, marine geospatial planning, or marine conservation
- Fluency with querying databases via SQL, Google BigQuery, and/or Mongo
- Data science skills (e.g. exploratory data analysis, anomaly detection, cleaning data in Python)
Special Remarks Regarding Work Environment
- Domestic and International Travel estimated to be 20-40%
- Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions
We’re committed to inclusion and equal opportunity.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The job description listed above is representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Vulcan Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. Every qualified applicant will be considered for employment. We do not discriminate based on race, color, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, pregnancy, parental status, national origin, age, disability (physical or mental), family medical history or genetic information, political affiliation, military service, or other protected class.
If you need accommodation during the application or hiring process, please contact Human Resources at email@example.com or your recruiter.