Fisheries Data Analyst Intern
Fisheries Data Analyst Intern
Paid Summer Internship – Seattle, WA
Empowered by our founder Paul Allen's vision, our mission is to improve our planet by tackling the world’s toughest problems. We do that through scientific and technological breakthroughs, catalytic philanthropy, and inspirational experiences, motivated by Paul’s lifelong question: “What solution should exist that doesn’t?”
Vulcan’s Skylight team is working to utilize state of the art satellite data to tackle illegal fishing. The Fisheries Data Analyst Intern will bring their knowledge of data science and fisheries to analyze and identify anomalous behavior indicative of illegal fishing. You’ll work closely with team members with expertise in software development, satellite technology, and maritime domain awareness. Enthusiasm for global ocean health and solving complex questions using emerging technologies is essential to this role.
Projects and Responsibilities
- Become familiar with a range of types of satellite data, including AIS vessel location and identity data, Electro-0ptical imagery, Synthetic Aperture Radar, etc.,
- Develop analysis methods and tools to automate and incorporate into Skylight alerts.
- Produce data and analysis reports that summarize findings and conclusions and are suitable for delivery to fishery managers and enforcers in foreign governments.
- Conduct research for supplemental information relevant to subject fisheries.
Desired Skills and Experience
- A senior undergraduate student or enrolled in a graduate program
- Knowledge of domestic and/or international fisheries and marine protected areas.
- Experience with SQL, R, Python, C, Java or other programming languages
- Strong skill set in geospatial analysis and data visualization with GIS software and tools
- Strong skill set with data analysis, data mining, probability and statistics
- Detail oriented with high degree of accuracy
- Strong communication skills: written, verbal, presentation skills, professionalism and discretion
Visit: www.skylight.global to learn more about the work Vulcan is doing to stop illegal fishing.
Deadline to Apply: February 14
We’re committed to inclusion and equal opportunity.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The job description listed above is representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Vulcan Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. Every qualified applicant will be considered for employment. We do not discriminate based on race, color, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, pregnancy, parental status, national origin, age, disability (physical or mental), family medical history or genetic information, political affiliation, military service, or other protected class.
If you need accommodation during the application or hiring process, please contact Human Resources at firstname.lastname@example.org or your recruiter.