Manager Home & Community Care, Nursing & Home Support
VON Canada is looking for an accomplished healthcare leader (Registered Nurse) with a passion for community health care and a desire to make positive changes that will drive improved results!
If this sounds like you or someone you know, keep reading!
The successful candidate will have strong business acumen, and an ability to advocate for process improvements within the organization and for our nursing and home support teams. A key focus in this role will be to meet Key Performance Indicator targets, including but not limited to: client visit volumes, unscheduled time/overtime, and absences.
Using superior critical thinking and problem-solving skills, the Managers, Home & Community Care (Nurse Manager) must be flexible, responsive to change, and able to successfully implement and lead focused Change Management strategies.
An important role of the Nurse Manager is to support strong team environments and excellent client care. This is accomplished through orientation, onboarding, and relationship building with their team of nurses. They are responsible to hold crucial conversations with staff where required, including promoting positive accountability, performance, and attendance.
- Directs and monitors the delivery of client care services and day to day functions and performance of front-line staff in accordance with current regulatory guidelines and VON policies, procedures, and standards.
- Monitors performance related to funder expectations regularly and contributes to the development and implementation of quality improvement activities to achieve performance targets through monitoring of reported services.
- Applies working knowledge of the relevant collective agreements and application of local labour rules in daily decision-making activities.
- Participates in budget preparation, financial performance management and measurement reports.
- Participates in local, regional or national teams or committees as required such as Quality Care and Service, Joint Occupational Health and Safety, Accreditation, Recruitment, and Retention.
- In collaboration with internal stakeholders, develops team procedures and guidelines to ensure best practices are met in the completion of all tasks or programs.
- Receives and documents all employee, family and client complaints or issues related to service delivery; engage other VON managers in resolving the issue or complaint and escalates, if required, to the appropriate Director.
- Participates in the on-call rotation.
- Completes risk assessments, investigations of issues, incidents or injuries as required.
- Facilitates front line staff development and growth using a team approach and working in concert with the practice leaders, educators, preceptors, and clinical experts to facilitate excellent outcomes for quality care delivery, client service and provider safety, and service provider competence. This includes and is not limited to the use of competency assessments, annual performance development plans, individual learning plans, referral to practice educators and on-going mentorship.
- Coaches, advises, motivates, and provides leadership to staff; creates a positive workplace for staff.
- Promotes the LEAN team management approach to ensure a common paradigm of management and discipline of management practices.
Education, Designations, and Experience:
- Post-Secondary education in a related field
- Regulated Health Professional with certification as a Registered Nurse
- A minimum of 5 years’ experience in Healthcare
- A minimum of 2 years’ experience managing others
- Experience in community work and working with community partners in a collaborative way
- Experience engaging with municipal, provincial and national external groups in a related field.
- Experience in negotiation, conflict management, financial management and working with staff and volunteers
- Experience working in a unionized environment is an asset
- Excellent critical thinking, assessment, and problem-solving skills.
- Strong attention to detail.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Proficient in using Microsoft Office software, including PowerPoint, Word, Excel, and Outlook.
- Demonstrated ability to effectively structure daily work activities with minimal supervision.
- High level of organizational and interpersonal skills.
- Able to work under pressure in a fast-paced environment while balancing competing priorities.
- Ability to exercise innovation and identifying opportunities by practicing LEAN principles and methodologies.
- Strong public relations and networking skills.
- Demonstrated skill sets in leadership, and team building.
- Ability to accept and facilitate change.
- Must have a personal vehicle or access to reliable transportation and possess both a current driver’s license and proof of vehicle insurance, if applicable.
- A current and original copy of a satisfactory Criminal Records Check
- A Vulnerable Sector Search and/or a Child Abuse Registry Check may be required
Work Conditions and Physical Capabilities: Attention to detail; Lift and carry using appropriate lifting techniques; Bend, push, pull, grip, reach, kneel, crouch using good body mechanics; Walk, sit, stand, climb stairs; Hand movements.
VON Canada is committed to meeting the needs of persons with disabilities and providing accessibility accommodations for candidates who require them. If you are in need of accessibility support, please visit our website at http://www.von.ca/en/accessibility for further details.