Manager IT, Service Desk (RFT 1.0)
Employment Status: Regular, Full Time (1.0 FTE)
Program Name: IT/IS
Number of Hours Bi-Weekly: 75
Work Schedule: Days
On Call: Yes
Location(s): Remote Position, Anywhere in ON or NS
The Manager IT Service Desk oversees all Service Desk and ensure that end users are receiving the appropriate assistance. This includes the responsibility of managing all procedures related to identification, prioritization and resolution of incidents, including the monitoring, tracking and coordination of Service Desk functions. The Service Desk Manager is also responsible for planning, designing, and analyzing the organization’s service desk according to best practices, while ensuring high levels of customer service quality and availability.
- Oversees all Service Desk requests, incidents and problem resolution process.
- Manages and coordinates urgent and complicated support issues and acts as escalation point for all requests and incidents.
- Responsible for staffing capacity planning, service process design, performance analysis, and developing proactive resolution plans.
- Develops, implements, and oversees procedures and work instructions to ensure consistent service levels and quick resolutions.
- Develops and enhances escalation processes through all channels (phone/ticket/email/SMS, etc.) to ensure free flowing escalation and information within the organization.
- Determines root cause of issues and communicates appropriately to internal and external customers.
- Analyze performance of Service Desk activities and documented resolutions, identify problem areas, and devise and deliver solutions to enhance quality of service and to prevent future problems.
- Manages employee schedules and provides backup support.
- Develops Service Level Agreements (SLAs) to establish problem resolution expectations and timeframes.
- Prepares & delivers reporting of service desk performance relative to SLA targets, trend analysis, and improvement plans.
- Oversees Solutions repository and ensures top quality solutions are available to staff.
- Manages the process for communicating outage/emergency activities to the organization.
- Reviews survey feedback to improve services, tools and client support experiences.
- Leads internal and third-party service review meetings covering performance, service improvements, quality and processes.
- Makes recommendations for Service Improvement Plans and ensures actions completed in a timely manner.
- Ensures all VON security policies, procedures and work instructions as known to service desk staff and these practices are followed consistently.
Common Leadership Responsibilities
- Promotes the strategy of VON and their role as an integrated community care provider to all stakeholders and staff.
- Prioritizes and ensures alignment of emerging opportunities in the community with VON strategic plan.
- Provides leadership in navigating the requirements and complexities of unionized and non-unionized environments.
- Coaches, advises, motivates, and provides leadership to staff; creates a positive workplace for staff.
- Promotes the Lean team management approach to ensure a common paradigm of management and discipline of management practices.
- Ensures there are mechanisms for all staff to come together to hear of organizational news and to provide feedback on what is working and what is not working.
- Ensures all Districts have a plan to complete performance development and learning plans with all staff.
- Promotes common approaches to orientation, learning, motivating, recognizing and supporting staff when achieving organizational goals; such as meeting or exceeding KPIs, meeting or exceeding milestones.
- Provides leadership in the promotion of a safe and healthy workplace ensuring workplace conduct and activities are in accordance with the provincial Occupational Health and Safety Act and Regulations, that KPIs related to safety are regularly reviewed by management, that appropriate investigations occur when needed, and plans to address issues are created and acted upon.
- Promotes the use of technology-based systems for the capture, transformation and distribution of knowledge.
- Abides by all confidentiality and protection of personal information policies, regulations and practices and ensures appropriate safeguards are in place in the Region.
External and Internal Relationships
- Collaborates with the IT/IS Managers and IT teams to evolve standards for hardware, software and security in the end user environment.
- Interacts with all levels of staff of staff within VON in support capacity and as lead of post incident review of adverse events.
- Builds relationship with cross function teams and management to ensure effective communication on IT matters.
- Interacts with third party service venders to ensure quality services.
Education, Designations and Experience:
- University Degree or College Diploma in Computer Studies, Business Management or other relevant field of study.
- Minimum of 7 years’ experience managing service desk in an enterprise operation, supporting more than 4,000 end users.
- 3+ years’ experience in a Service Management leadership capacity.
- Certification in Information Technology Infrastructure Library (ITIL V3.0).
- 7+ years of experience with (Windows 7/10) desktop operating systems.
- 2+ years of experience supporting Citrix thin client technology.
- Thorough knowledge of Information Technology products and services, incident / request management processes and security and regulatory principles.
- Wide breadth of IT knowledge through exposure to a variety of technologies, both hardware/infrastructure and software/applications.
- Experience in managing third party delivered services & telecommunications outages.
- Experience working in and leading teams in a multi-site environment.
- Strong leadership and interpersonal skills, with demonstrated experience mentoring, coaching, and developing others.
- Strong analytical, problem solving, conflict resolution and decision making skills.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Excellent customer facing / customer service skills.
- Ability to work under pressure and meet deadlines.
- Self-motivated and able to take responsibility.
- Ability to manage and prioritize tasks and time efficiently.
- Must be willing to work outside of regular business hours to support extended service desk support schedule. This includes being available for escalation of incidents during for non-core service desk support hours.
- A current and original copy of a satisfactory Criminal Records Check is required.
- A Vulnerable Sector Search and/or Child Abuse Registry Check may be required.
- Ability to speak French is an asset in French designated areas.
- The use of Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) may be required
Work Conditions and Physical Capabilities: fast-paced environment; attention to detail; lift and carry using appropriate lifting techniques; walk, sit, stand, and climb stairs; grip and fine hand movements.
VON Canada is committed to meeting the needs of persons with disabilities and to providing accessibility accommodations for candidates who require them. If you are in need of accessibility support, please visit our website at http://www.von.ca/en/accessibility for further details.