Labour Relations Officer (TFT 1.0)
Employment Status: Temporary, Full-Time (1.0 FTE)
Program: Human Resources
Number of Hours Bi-Weekly: 75
Work Schedule: Days
Anticipated End Date: 06/07/2022
On Call: No
VON Canada is looking for a Labour Relations Officer (LRO). The LRO will represent VON in collective bargaining, manage collaborative strategic relationships with regional unions, advise on collective agreement administration and provide training, education and support to VON. This role will also support the development and implementation of a regional labour relations strategy in Ontario and lead various labour relation functions including grievance administration, collective bargaining and investigations.
- Work with VON National and Ontario Region leadership in preparing for and participating in collective bargaining; in post-bargaining rollout and training initiatives.
- Liaise with union representatives to promote a co-operative and effective labour relations climate.
- Serve as the subject matter expert in the interpretation and administration of multiple collective agreements.
- Ensure consistent application of collective agreements.
- Provide strategic guidance to ensure that organizational decisions are in line with the collective agreements, policies, and other employments standards and laws.
- Support the development of labour relations skills of the management team through active training in labour relations matters including discipline, attendance, conflict resolution, investigations, mediation and grievance handling.
- Support facilitation and resolution of employee conflicts/issues in partnership with the Senior Director Labour Relations.
- Represent the organization at grievance and arbitration hearings.
- Responsible for providing representation, support and advice for employment related matters to all VON employees and managers, including both union and non-union.
- Support the implementation of Human Resources programs to ensure compliance with all employment-related agreements and change management strategies.
- Provide expert coaching and support to all VON employees (including non-union staff) in the areas of: employee and labour relations, employment standards, human rights and other relevant legislation, policies and procedures.
- Undergraduate degree in Human Resource Management, Business Law, Industrial Relations or a related area of study
- Certificate Program in Human Resource Management and/or related post-graduate studies are an asset
- Five (5) to Eight (8) years of broad and progressively more senior labour relations experience, active participation in collective bargaining (as either a member of the bargaining unit or bargaining support team) and contract administration
- Knowledge of labour/management principles, Canada Labour Code, employment law, statutes and the Labour Relations Board process
- Familiarity with provincial labour regulations, collective agreements and various labour organizations
- Experience with Ontario Unions an asset
- Ability to work in a fast-paced multi-union environment while meeting multiple demands and competing priorities
- Strong negotiation, medication, workplace investigation and conflict resolution skills
- Experience working within the healthcare industry is an asset
- Relationship management skills, including the ability to quickly earn the trust of internal customers and external clients
- Proficient in Microsoft Office
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Demonstrated commitment to on-going learning and professional development
- Ability to travel within the province of Ontario when required
- Must have personal vehicle and possess both a current driver’s license and proof of vehicle insurance
- A current and original copy of a satisfactory Criminal Records Check is required upon the start of your employment
- A Vulnerable Sector Search and/or Child Abuse Registry Check may be required
- Ability to speak French is an asset in French Designated areas
Work Conditions and Physical Capabilities: Fast-paced Environment; Attention to Detail; Lift and carry using appropriate lifting techniques; Bend, push, pull, grip, reach, kneel, crouch using good body mechanics; Walk, sit, stand, climb stairs; Fine hand movements
VON Canada is committed to meeting the needs of persons with disabilities and to providing accessibility accommodations for candidates who require them. If you are in need of accessibility support, please visit our website at http://www.von.ca/en/accessibility for further information and contact details.
In accordance with the Employer’s policy, Mandatory Vaccination: COVID-19, it is required that all VON Canada Nova Scotia Branch, VON Canada Ontario Branch and VON Canada (National) employees, contractors, volunteers and students be fully vaccinated (subject only to legitimate established exemptions of a medical nature or where there is a valid human rights exception). To facilitate this policy, all VON Canada employees, students, contractors and volunteers will be required to provide written attestation confirming that they are fully vaccinated and reasonable proof of vaccination status, inclusive of any government-issued documentation.
In accordance with the Employer’s policy, Mandatory Vaccination: COVID-19, it is required that all VON Canada Nova Scotia Branch, VON Canada Ontario Branch and VON Canada (National) employees, contractors, volunteers and students be fully vaccinated (subject only to legitimate established exemptions of a medical nature or where there is a valid human rights exception).
To facilitate this policy, all VON Canada employees, students, contractors and volunteers will be required to provide written attestation confirming that they are fully vaccinated and reasonable proof of vaccination status, inclusive of any government-issued documentation.