Personal Support Worker 'Health Care Technician' Palliative/Pediatric - Full-Time/Part-Time
Employment Status: Regular, Full Time and Part Time
Program Name: eHomecare
Number of Hours Bi-Weekly: 75
Work Schedule: Days, Evenings, Nights, Weekends
Union/Bargaining Unit: CLAC
On Call: No
The Health Care Technician (HCT) provides direct hands-on care to patients in the patients’ home under the direction of a Directing Registered Nurse (DRN). Within the eShift programs, the Care Technician provides enhanced personal support to a variety of patient populations in the community, including pediatric, palliative, complex care, and chronic disease management.
This position is eligible for the temporary $3.00 per hour wage enhancement from the Ontario Government for all hours spent directly caring for clients.
PSWs, DSWs, HCAs and Internationally Educated Nurses are welcome to apply!
Training will be provided to support advanced skill sets and requirements.
Health Care Technicians Palliative and/or Acute Medically Complex hired for the Brantford, Haldimand/Norfolk site may be scheduled to work anywhere in the Brantford, Haldimand/Norfolk. Access to a personal vehicle is required.
- Under the direction of the DRN the HCT observes and documents clinical data in the patient’s electronic medical record as per VON guidelines.
- Under the direction of the DRN the HCT provides personal care to support activities of daily living and medication administration.
- Is in direct contact with the DRN through a virtual real time electronic monitoring system .
- In collaboration with the DRN contributes to the development and modification of a patient’s care plan based on patient outcomes observed and reported directly to the DRN .
- Under the direction of the DRN will identifies if additional resources are required in the home e.g. home support, and coordinates required needs with the eShift office on scheduling.
- Communicates and collaborates with the family/care giver of the patient to ensure a positive patient experience under the direction of the DRN.
External and Internal Relationships:
- Frequently communicates and interacts with Registered Nurses.
- Engages with clients and client’s family members.
- Communicates directly with the eShift administrative support staff.
Education, Designations and Experience:
- Personal Support Worker (PSW) certification.
- Developmental Support Worker (DSW) certification will be considered.
- One (1) to two (2) years’ experience as a PSW.
- Current CPR and First Aid certification.
- Demonstrated knowledge of fundamentals of Palliative Care- Level I (course completion or a commitment to take the next available course within the first year of employment).
- Experience in Palliative or acute care (hospital) preferred.
- AHPCE course completion is an asset.
- Ability to learn and demonstrate competency for additional hands on clinical skill required to support a patient’s activities of daily living (e.g. subcutaneous medications, G-Tube feeds and flushes, bladder irrigation)
- Ability to adjust to working in different social and economic environments.
- Awareness of community resources.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Demonstrated basic observation and problem-solving skills.
- Experience in, and aptitude for, ongoing skills training as well as the ability to implement learned skills and behaviors.
- Ability to work effectively in a multidisciplinary team, take direction well and to work independently.
- Must be able to wear Personal Protective Equipment (PPE)
- Must have access to a personal vehicle for business use and possess both a current driver’s license and proof of vehicle insurance.
- Willingness to travel to neighboring communities.
- Current criminal background check including a vulnerable sector screen
- Must be able to wear Personal Protective Equipment (PPE)
Work Conditions and Physical Capabilities: Attention to detail; lift and carry using appropriate lifting techniques; bend, push, pull, grip, reach, kneel, crouch using good body mechanics; walk, sit, stand, climb stairs; hand movements.
VON Canada is committed to meeting the needs of persons with disabilities and to providing accessibility accommodations for candidates who require them. If you are in need of accessibility support, please visit our website at http://www.von.ca/en/accessibility for further information and contact details.
Attention Current Employees (Internal Applicants): If you are applying to a unionized position and you are a member of its bargaining unit, please be aware that this posting may remain open beyond the deadline if there are not enough applicants to fill the position(s). If the posting remains open after the initial deadline, VON may close the posting at its’ discretion or a rolling deadline equivalent to the posting period specified in your Collective Agreement will be deemed, and each successive period will be treated as a separate posting for purposes of comparing seniority between candidates.
In accordance with the Employer’s policy, Mandatory Vaccination: COVID-19, it is required that all VON Canada Nova Scotia Branch, VON Canada Ontario Branch and VON Canada (National) employees, contractors, volunteers and students be fully vaccinated (subject only to legitimate established exemptions of a medical nature or where there is a valid human rights exception). To facilitate this policy, all VON Canada employees, students, contractors and volunteers will be required to provide written attestation confirming that they are fully vaccinated and reasonable proof of vaccination status, inclusive of any government-issued documentation.
In accordance with the Employer’s policy, Mandatory Vaccination: COVID-19, it is required that all VON Canada Nova Scotia Branch, VON Canada Ontario Branch and VON Canada (National) employees, contractors, volunteers and students be fully vaccinated (subject only to legitimate established exemptions of a medical nature or where there is a valid human rights exception).
To facilitate this policy, all VON Canada employees, students, contractors and volunteers will be required to provide written attestation confirming that they are fully vaccinated and reasonable proof of vaccination status, inclusive of any government-issued documentation.