Activationist, Evenings, Includes Weekends (RPT 0.3)
Employment Status: Permanent, Part Time (0.3 FTE)
Program: Overnight Stay Program
Work Schedule: Evenings, Includes Weekends
Biweekly Hours: 22.5
Union/Bargaining Unit: CUPE
On Call: Yes
This position will provide quality support and care for individuals attending the Over Night Stay Program. During the two weekly 6 hour shifts, evening Activationist staff are expected to prepare and serve an evening meal and assist senior age clients with bedtime routines including personal care, medication assistance, recreational activities, evening snacks in collaboration with the multi disciplinary team including RPN, Supervisor and Manager. Care is provided within the framework of continuous Quality Improvement (CQI), VON Branch philosophy, policies and procedures, standards and applicable legislation. This role contributes to fulfillment of the VON Mission Statement to develop and/or promote programs to meet community needs.
- Collaborates with the RPN and Supervisor in planning and implementing social and recreational programs.
- Participates in group activities to stimulate mobility, language, reminiscing, group identity and listening skills of clients.
- Assist clients with ADL as required ( toileting, personal hygiene, assistance with the administration of medications utilizing the medication system of the program
- Collaborates with the multi disciplinary team to identify risk factors and introduce interventions to minimize and eliminate client incidents
- Ensure safety and security measures for the client, volunteers and staff
- Provides input in program planning
- Diploma or Certificate from a Community College level program in health care, social services or recreation with an emphasis on Gerontology
- Current First Aid and CPR required
- Certification with GPA, Montessori an asset
- 1-2 years of recent experience in Adult Day Services or working with groups of seniors is an asset.
- Experience providing recreational programs and working with adults, especially individuals (and their caregivers), with Alzheimer disease and other cognitive impairments and/or physical disabilities in a social setting a requirement.
- A current and original copy of a satisfactory Criminal Records Check
- A Vulnerable Sector Search and/or a Child Abuse Registry Check may be required
- Must have personal vehicle & posses both a current drivers license and proof of vehicle insurance
- Must be able to wear Personal Protective Equipment (PPE)
VON Canada is committed to meeting the needs of persons with disabilities and to providing accessibility accommodations for candidates who require them. If you are in need of accessibility support, please visit our website at http://www.von.ca/en/accessibility for further information and contact details.
Attention Current Employees (Internal Applicants): If you are applying to a unionized position and you are a member of its bargaining unit, please be aware that this posting may remain open beyond the deadline if there are not enough applicants to fill the position(s). If the posting remains open after the initial deadline, VON may close the posting at its’ discretion or a rolling deadline equivalent to the posting period specified in your Collective Agreement will be deemed, and each successive period will be treated as a separate posting for purposes of comparing seniority between candidates.