Employment Status: Regular, Full Time (1.0 FTE)
Program Name: IT/IS
Location: This position can be based out of any of our offices in Nova Scotia or Ontario. The position is currently remote but does require on-site attendance periodically when required.
The Senior Network & System Administrator is responsible for planning, deploying, managing, and monitoring VON’s infrastructure and services; network firewalls and security devices; server clusters and virtual machines; Active Directory, and Exchange. In addition, they will be responsible for upholding security best practices, software installation, troubleshooting, upgrades, and downgrades. Experience with Palo Alto Firewalls is required, and experience with Avaya, and Nortel IP offices is an asset.
- Works collaboratively with the Manager, Information Technology to plan and implement technical solutions which enhance reliability, scalability, and performance of VON’s hardware infrastructure.
- Supports Windows 2012/2016 servers in a Hyper-V clustered environment and delegates routine tasks to IT Systems Administrators as necessary.
- Part of the final step in the escalation framework within the IT support team, possessing the most technical knowledge, regarding all aspects of the hardware, network, and system infrastructure
- Performs research with vendors and external technical resources for analysis and resolution of complex technical support problems.
- Provides routine reporting and recommendations to management for performance of hardware systems, capacity constraints, system growth requirements, and progress on project implementations.
- Performs advanced system administration activities including, application of security policies, enterprise software upgrades, and major infrastructure changes.
- Performs analysis and testing of new technologies, operating systems, and hardware platforms, prior to adoption and implementation within the infrastructure and network
- Creates and uses software tools to automate deployment of software and security updates across the VON network
External and Internal Relationships:
- Communicates & works with members of the IT/IS team, internal users and cross-functional teams.
- Collaborate with technical staff at ISPs / network providers, hardware and software vendors, hosting/data center vendors and mobility network providers to resolve issues and technical problems
Education, Designations and Experience:
- Post-secondary degrees in computer science or systems and network administration
- Minimum of 7 years direct experience in a complex network system environment supporting greater than 5000 end users
- MCP and CCNA Certifications
- 5+ years administration of virtualized environments, including MS Hyper-V, VMware V-Sphere, Citrix or Cisco UCS.
- 5+ years’ experience working with computer security (e.g. firewalls and intrusion detection systems).
- 2+ years experience with hardware infrastructure design and implementation methodologies
- Advanced knowledge and experience with SAN, NAS storage including iSCSI and Fiber SAN
- Advanced knowledge and experience with networking protocols, security administration, and VPN client / host firewall configurations.
- Expert knowledge of Microsoft Windows Server administration, patch management, and optimization.
- 2+ years experience with MDM platform administration (AirWatch, or other industry leading systems), and mobile technologies (Android, iOS)
- Expert knowledge of file systems, sharing and security practices.
- Advanced knowledge and experience with Active Directory and group policy administration
- 2+ years experience with power shell scripting, to optimize delivery of client system updates and security enhancements
- Expert understanding of computer hardware & networking including servers, routers, switches, firewalls, and thin client technologies.
- Strong understanding of database design, architecture, and file management techniques
- Ability to communicate with end users with a high level of customer service skills.
- Strong problem-solving, analytical, time management, organization, decision-making, and influencing skills.
- Strong interpersonal, influencing and verbal/written communication skills.
- Well developed team skills with a collaborative work style.
- Ability to problem solve and adjust to rapidly changing priorities in a deadline driven environment.
- Ability to communicate ideas in both technical and user-friendly language.
- Proven ability to work independently, as well as within a team environment
- A current and original copy of a satisfactory Criminal Records Check is required.
- A Vulnerable Sector Search and/or Child Abuse Registry Check may be required.
- Ability to speak French is an asset in French Designated areas
- The use of Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) may be required
VON is a non-profit organization that provides clinical, personal, and social support to people who want to live every day to the fullest while remaining in their own homes and communities
Work Conditions and Physical Capabilities: fast-paced environment; attention to detail; lift and carry using appropriate lifting techniques; walk, sit, stand, and climb stairs; grip and fine hand movements.
VON Canada is committed to meeting the needs of persons with disabilities and to providing accessibility accommodations for candidates who require them. If you are in need of accessibility support, please visit our website at http://www.von.ca/en/accessibility for further details.
In accordance with the Employer’s policy, Mandatory Vaccination: COVID-19, it is required that all VON Canada Nova Scotia Branch, VON Canada Ontario Branch and VON Canada (National) employees, contractors, volunteers and students be fully vaccinated (subject only to legitimate established exemptions of a medical nature or where there is a valid human rights exception). To facilitate this policy, all VON Canada employees, students, contractors and volunteers will be required to provide written attestation confirming that they are fully vaccinated and reasonable proof of vaccination status, inclusive of any government-issued documentation.
In accordance with the Employer’s policy, Mandatory Vaccination: COVID-19, it is required that all VON Canada Nova Scotia Branch, VON Canada Ontario Branch and VON Canada (National) employees, contractors, volunteers and students be fully vaccinated (subject only to legitimate established exemptions of a medical nature or where there is a valid human rights exception).
To facilitate this policy, all VON Canada employees, students, contractors and volunteers will be required to provide written attestation confirming that they are fully vaccinated and reasonable proof of vaccination status, inclusive of any government-issued documentation.