VIZ Media, the world leader in English-language versions of manga and anime (Japanese comics and animation), is looking for an experienced Data Analyst to help the Marketing and Product teams manage their analytics, and help the teams better understand user behavior across VIZ Media’s family of digital platforms (website and apps).
This role will report to the Sr. Director, Consumer Acquisition and Retention (CAR). The candidate will play a central role by: identifying trends and patterns over the customer lifecycle; offering analysis on how to impact business KPIs; identifying gaps or opportunities for improvement in the business results; and generally helping us better understand our customers. We’re looking for a person who will thrive while working in a dynamic, fast-growing business, where insights and data-driven recommendations can have key real-world business impacts.
What You’ll Do:Work closely with the Sr. Director, CAR to create best-practice reports based on data mining, analysis, and visualization
- Integrate data structures from multiple sources into actionable reporting for the Marketing and Product teams based on customer behavior trends across web and apps, with a strong emphasis on the Shonen Jump digital manga service, including free and paid subscription segments
- Identify and analyze the behavior of our ideal or strongest customers
- Identify, analyze, and interpret trends or patterns in complex data sets to improve customer acquisition, retention, and engagement goals
- Work with management to prioritize business and information needs to best support decision making
- Evaluate internal systems for efficiency, problems, and inaccuracies, while developing and maintaining protocols for handling, processing, and cleaning data
The Ideal Candidate Has:
- 2-4 years of experience in a data analysis role
- Strong analytical skills with the ability to collect, organize, analyze, and disseminate significant amounts of information with attention to detail and accuracy
- Adept at queries, report writing and presenting findings
- Expertise and experience in querying relational and non-relational data stores (SQL, BigQuery)
- Familiarity with ETL concepts and scripting to aggregate data across multiple sources
- Experience analyzing a system with hundreds of thousands of users, that generates millions of events on a weekly basis
- A Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university in a relevant field or equivalent experience that demonstrates suitable preparation for this position
Additional skills that will help:
- Experience with data warehousing (e.g. AWS Redshift or similar)
- Experience with Google Firebase Analytics or similar (Firestore is a bonus)
- Experience with AWS/Google Cloud or similar tools for Data analysis and reporting
- Previous experience with a cross-platform product, with media subscriptions and/or freemium product segments a plus
- Familiarity with the manga/comics/publishing business
Work Environment & Schedule
The Data Analyst must be local to the San Francisco Bay Area and be able to commute to our downtown San Francisco office regularly.
Approximately 90% of the time spent on this job involves the use of a computer. You’ll primarily work in an office environment and must be able to use standard office software, equipment, and communication tools.
As part of a multi-media entertainment company, employees may be subjected to work-related images including content such as: sexually explicit images, nudity, and graphic violence. Employees should be willing to work with this type of content.
Who We Are:
VIZ Media has been bringing the finest in the manga, anime, and global entertainment to English-speaking fans across the world for 35 years. From classic series like Dragon Ball, Pokémon, and Naruto to current hits like Demon Slayer, My Hero Academia, and Jujutsu Kaisen, we continue to offer the best in action, romance, fantasy, and adventure stories for fans of all ages.
We offer our employees a variety of benefits and perks including:
- Hybrid Work Model - you’ll work some days in the office and some remotely
- Medical, Dental, and Vision Insurance, Disability and Life Insurance, FSAs, and Commuter Plan
- 8 Weeks of Parental Leave
- 401(k) with company match
- Generous time off policies including volunteer days and birthday holidays
- Free gym membership + wellness stipend
- Work from Home stipend
- A free membership to the Shonen Jump digital vault plus other anime and manga freebies!