Creative & Content Director
Who we are:
Vivid Seats is the largest independent online ticket marketplace, sending tens of millions of fans to live events. We believe in the power of experiences and are fiercely dedicated to building products that inspire human connections. Named as one of Built In Chicago’s top 10 places to work in 2021, we believe that our people are our greatest competitive advantage. To support our people—we have built a company culture that empowers our employees to embrace challenges, encourages unity through collaboration, and seeks to constantly evolve by leveraging data and inspiring innovation.
Our team is seeking a Creative & Content Director to oversee an in-house team of designers/copywriters/producers who will TELL OUR STORY to the world. The right person will be an experienced creative director/art director, with some journalistic experience in their past—and the orchestration skills of a master conductor.
Live events is an exciting, emotional category with no shortage of GREAT stories to tell! Your team (content creation) will work with channel owners (content distribution) to intake briefs; synthesize themes into a cohesive content calendar; and deliver compelling, performant content. If the idea of uniting people around shared experiences excites you, and you have 10+ years in creative & content marketing (5+ leading teams)—read on!
How your role contributes to the success of Vivid Seats:
- Everyone is a fan of something. At Vivid Seats, we’re on a mission to ensure more fans are able to attend the events they love, more often. Putting the right content in front of fans creates a better experience AND propels our business forward.
- You will help evolve our presence from a transactional stopping point—to an ‘in the know’ companion—keeping customers & prospects engaged with our content until a spark-of-intent occurs and they place an order.
- You’ll work with content distribution leads to define needs—and bubble up ‘themes’ into a cohesive content calendar. Your team will deliver on key overarching themes, as well as fulfilling requests for specific channels (owned, shared, earned—sometimes paid.)
- You’ll use information to your advantage—generating ideas for data-driven content that is rigorously researched, engaging to our audience, and optimized over time.
- You’ll bring storytelling excitement & energy—delivering a fresh stream of ideas, and pushing us to experiment with new tactics, new creative treatments, and new channels.
- You’ll guide the composition of our content team (roughly 5-6 to start) and help us grow the function over time.
- You’ll motivate your team to deliver content excellence everyday—through strategic guidance, creative critiques, and real-time coaching & feedback.
- You will work with outside agencies from time to time—seeking to get the best out of a ‘hybrid’ creative model (‘fresh set of eyes’ and expansive thinking from external partners + innate brand knowledge and speed-to-market from our internal team.)
- You’ll be a key shaper of our brand & expected to ensure consistency (visual identity, tone, voice) across all marketing channels and beyond (working closely with cross-functional partners in product & UX especially)
How your role expectations will progress as Creative & Content Director in the first 30, 90, and 180 days:
30 days in
- Acclimate to Vivid Seats’ values and organizational goals to understand how your department drives initiatives forward.
- Understand your teams’ contributions and the needs of stakeholders that rely on your deliverables to bring business objectives to life.
- Immerse in the Vivid Seats brand (recent brand refresh, visual ID/TOV, key brand messages & RTBs, current marketing campaigns.)
- Quickly engage in hiring process to build out content team (designers, copywriters, and additional support roles.)
- Partner with CMO, marketing leads & key brand stakeholders (UX Director) on the foundational project of developing our content pillars.
- Draft first iteration of cross-channel content calendar.
- Identify any tools/processes needed to achieve content team goals and implement accordingly.
90 days in
- Develop early read on performant content, and optimize forward-looking content calendar appropriately.
- Guide recent hires to ensure they’re set up for success: they understand the brand, are interpreting brand guidelines correctly, are prolific in their output, and are ‘raising the bar’ creatively.
- Work with channel leads on potential expansion into new content outlets.
- Implement regular creative reviews (“tabletops”) with cross-functional peers to ensure brand consistency; drive “lunch & learns” and other formal/informal coaching sessions with the broader organization.
180 days in
- Monitor and evolve team deliverables, individual goals, and overall performance to ensure alignment with department initiatives and the organization while coaching your team to grow skill sets.
- Meaningfully contribute to department roadmap exercises that balance current needs with future strategic initiatives.
What You’ll Bring:
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience
- Background in design (art direction) with a strong portfolio of work on consumer brands–clear visual POV, and experience in design software & motion graphics
- 10+ years in content marketing / ideal blend of agency & client-side roles
- 5+ years leading teams of creatives
- Some time spent in an editorial capacity, or a clearly demonstrable ‘journalistic slant’
- Skill in creation of long-form, short-form, and real-time content
- Clear understanding of content marketing landscape—distribution strategies & tactics
- FLUENT understanding of digital & social channels, experience optimizing content for SEO, and publishing content on CMSs
- Familiarity with Google Analytics, and using data sources to optimize content performance
- Ability to quickly adapt to an established brand vis/voice, to enrich brand standards, and drive consistency across touchpoints (prior experience on a brand launch/re-brand is desired)
- Experience in fact-paced, start-up type environment is preferred
We are an equal opportunity employer that values the critical importance of a diverse workforce and sense of belonging. Many of our roles have flexible requirements and we encourage you to apply regardless of whether you meet every qualification.
Vivid Seats provides competitive compensation; bonus incentives; FLEX PTO; mental health days; medical, dental, and vision insurance; 401K matching; monthly credits and discounts for attending live events; remote work and snack allowances; and a variety of additional workplace perks.