Senior Android Engineer
This position is open to fully-remote candidates who can work from anywhere in the United States and Canada. Candidates also have the option to work from one of our office locations in Chicago or Toronto.
Who we are: Vivid Seats is the largest independent online ticket marketplace, sending tens of millions of fans to live events. We believe in the power of experiences and are fiercely dedicated to building products that inspire human connections. Named as one of Built In Chicago’s top 10 places to work in 2021, we believe that our People are our greatest competitive advantage. To support our People, we have built a company culture that empowers our employees to embrace challenges, encourages unity through collaboration, and seeks to constantly evolve by leveraging data and inspiring innovation.
As a Senior Android Engineer you will architect, develop, and maintain the Editor’s Choice Vivid Seats Android App. You’ll research and incorporate modern best architectural standards, refactor our code base, and scale the consumer facing Vivid Seats app that has over 1 million downloads.
How your role contributes to the success of Vivid Seats:
- Our mobile engineers collaborate with our Product, Quality and Design Teams to select technology, optimize our current experience, and implement product differentiators to improve the experience for our users.
- Write new features and tests in Kotlin, utilize LiveData and RxJava, and leverages Room as a SQLite DB wrapper.
- Look critically at our apps, innovate and drive new solutions forward working with delivery teams across the organization to standardize code.
- Commit to providing the best design patterns, testable code, and own the evolution of the Vivid Seats Android App.
How your role expectations will progress as an Senior Android Engineer in the first 30, 90, and 180 days:
30 days in:
- Complete new hire orientation, gaining the resources you need to be successful.
- Learn how ticket marketplaces operate and how you’ll contribute to providing great experiences for our customers.
- Acclimate to team and company norms, business objectives, and Vivid Seats values.
- Develop basic understanding of applications, tech stack, and development process.
90 days in:
- Enhance our approaches, methods, or technologies to mitigate risks and improve efficiencies.
- Build, maintain, and leverage internal and external relationships to achieve progress and advance objectives.
- Apply technical learnings that align with the product roadmap to overall department and organizational goals that drive company initiatives forward.
- Contribute to team planning, estimations and software design sessions.
180 days in:
- Design and implement process improvements that positively impacts the team.
- Mentor others, playing an active role in elevating the skill sets of those you work with.
- Guide the team's work so that it fits into the larger team and engineering group objectives.
- Produce and deliver clean, correct code that drives team and company tech goals forward.
- Improve efficiency in core systems and applications managed by the team and contribute to engineering group objectives.
What You’ll Bring:
- A proven career developing mobile apps for Android (Java or Kotlin).
- Experience shipping Android apps to the Google Play Store.
- Strong knowledge of consuming REST APIs and backend services.
- Passion for mobile platforms and keeping up with the latest technologies, usability, and user experiences.
- Familiarity with agile development cycles, rapid prototyping, and A/B Testing.
- Ability to learn and share new technologies with enthusiasm and a high degree of efficiency.
- Desire to work autonomously in an independent and small team environment.
- Experience with UI Testing Frameworks, and CI/CD tools a plus.
- Creativity, fearlessness and an unwavering commitment to putting our customer first.
We are an equal opportunity employer that values the critical importance of a diverse workforce and sense of belonging. Many of our roles have flexible requirements and we encourage you to apply regardless of whether you meet every qualification.
Vivid Seats provides competitive compensation; bonus incentives; FLEX PTO; mental health days; medical, dental, and vision insurance; 401K matching; monthly credits and discounts for attending live events; remote work and snack allowances; and a variety of additional workplace perks.