Software Engineering Manager
Who is Virgin Pulse?
Virgin Pulse, founded as part of Sir Richard Branson’s famed Virgin Group, helps organizations build employee health and wellbeing into the DNA of their corporate cultures. As the only company to deliver a powerful, mobile-first digital platform infused with live services, including coaching and biometric screenings, Virgin Pulse’s takes a high-tech-meets-high-touch-approach to engage employees in improving across all aspects of their health and wellbeing, every day – from prevention and building a healthy lifestyle to condition and disease management to condition reversal, all while engaging users daily in building and sustaining healthy habits and behaviors. A global leader in health and wellbeing, Virgin Pulse is committed to helping change lives and businesses around the world for good so that people and organizations can thrive, together. Today, more than 3100 organizations across the globe are using Virgin Pulse’s solutions to improve health, employee wellbeing and engagement, reduce costs and create strong workplace cultures.
Who are our employees?
At Virgin Pulse we’re passionate about changing lives for good. We want to make a difference in the world by helping people be healthy so they can perform at their best, every day, at work and home. Our award-winning solutions support leading employers in improving and simplifying the employee health and wellbeing journey and engaging people in all aspects of their health. But our world-class products and programs are nothing without our people – the employees who design, build, promote, sell, test and perfect the latest innovations in workplace health and wellbeing. Our people are our top priority and we invest in their health and happiness. At Virgin Pulse, we have so much more than a strong, supportive company culture – have a shared vision for a healthier, happier world.
Who you are.
As an Engineering Manager for Virgin Pulse, you are an experienced leader with demonstrable people skills, technical knowledge, and passion for delivering world-class software. As an engineering manager you’re responsible for growing and inspiring engineering teams to contribute outstanding quality work. You will lead a group of cross functional engineers to work closely with product owners, designers and other engineering teams to ensure the overall business vision align with the development work. As our ideal candidate you come from a background of having been a talented and self-motivated engineer with management experience and a track record of shipping code to production in rapid iteration in a high volume, high availability SaaS company. You share our passion for employee engagement and wellness and believe in the Virgin Pulse motto of changing life for the better.
* This position is based in Providence, RI with up to 20% travel required.
As our Engineering Manager you will be a strategic and operations leader of one of our engineering groups within Virgin Pulse. You will be responsible for creating a high performing group that delivers product with quality, timeliness, and scalability. You fit well in our organization because your methods align well with our organizational focus on efficiency, long term thinking, and passion for technology.
In addition to the above you possess a number of desirable traits including:
- You are hands on. We expect engineering leaders to improve operational efficiency and develop a vision that leads to long term success of engineering teams. To accomplish that, the engineering leaders will need to acquire in-depth domain knowledge about every aspect of engineering operation, and to us, the best way to acquire this knowledge is by rolling up their sleeves to code, configure, and test alongside their team.
- You seek to be a role model and good ambassador for our core values and can lead by example, setting expectations and context. Integrity is not just fundamental to our business, it is core to our mission.
- You are comfortable with owning business goals. They actively manage engineering activities of key components and initiatives owned by the team; they come up with creative solutions to solve execution problems along the way to meet project timeline.
- You deliver on excellent platform uptime guarantees and acts as the higher-level escalation contact for the platform.
- You cultivate a high performing engineering team culture to meet and exceed key engineering success metrics, which include a people success metric. They attract talent and improve team morale. They are excited to develop engineer's careers and goals. Engineers love working for them.
- You communicate well with the business. They provide product owners with scope estimates and high-level milestones for evaluations of upcoming projects, and work closely with the scrum team in an agile environment to ensure work is consistently sequenced, digested, and completed at reasonable velocity.
Our next generation SAAS platform is using an exciting mixture of technologies: Large scale, highly available, public-facing websites built in React/Angular/Angular2 and leveraging tools like Puppet, Pug, Grunt and NPM to make things automated and repeatable. Our Java/Scala/Kotlin-based REST API is built on Spring Boot and Hibernate which serves traffic to both web and mobile consumers. We’re using a combination of Mongo, MySQL, PostgreSQL, Cassandra and Redis. Redis, specifically, is used extensively in a distributed locking system, responsible for supporting real-time data processing. All of this uses Amazon Web Services extensively for stability and high availability.
We practice Continuous Integration and Continuous Delivery using TeamCity; as a result we have continual smaller releases to our environments (Development, QA, Staging, Production), with integrated unit tests and code coverage analysis while eliminating the risk taken on with only a few large releases/product updates.
Your typical day looks like:
- Run a team that maintains and extends our very large platform including web and mobile applications, API services, and myriad back-end services such as data ingestion for activity tracking devices.
- Work closely with product managers and your team to prioritize stories, get them estimated, scheduled for sprints, and keep them on track for delivery.
- Work with other engineering teams to plan upcoming projects, coordinate with operation, support and infrastructure teams to make sure delivery of new project goes out smoothly.
- Work with developers and QA to get everything tested and merged for a release. Review code, and help QA with testing when needed.
- When you are not managing, you are writing code, answering questions about code for others, reviewing metrics and data analysis or building analytics dashboards.
- Manage a few developers and QA engineers who report to you directly, meeting with them regularly to ensure they are meeting their goals and happy with their career growth.
- As part the engineering management group work together to brainstorm future strategies and plan resource needs.
What you bring to the team.
In order to represent the best of what we have to offer you come to us with a multitude of positive attributes including:
- You have a degree in Computer Science, MiS or Mathematics
- You have outstanding problem solving and analytical skills
- You are an amazing communicator (written and verbal) and comfortable discussing software and features
- Your ability to contribute to a planning or scheduling discussion mirrors your ability to listen and learn from your peers
What makes you stand out.
- Project management tools (Smartsheet, Gliffy, Basecamp, Trello)
- Scrum tools (Jira, Confuence, etc.)
- Communicating with remote individuals and offices
- Working in a team environment
- Logical working style with a keen attention to detail
- Hipchat or similar communication tools
In addition to your skills you regularly demonstrate the following:
- Product development passion: You have a passion for developing great software applications, especially in the employee health engagement space. You can rattle off the names of your favorite web applications.
- Business acumen: You know how to weigh risk and value to our customer. You are quick to learn the business and can grow into an effective Product Owner in our organization.
- Communication skills: You should be comfortable discussing software architecture for the features you’ll propose and be able to implement them cleanly. Your ability to contribute to a technical and business discussion mirrors your ability to listen and learn from your peers.
- You’re genuinely motivated by technology and keep up to date
Work to ensure system and data security is maintained at a high standard, ensuring the confidentiality, integrity and availability of the Virgin Pulse application is not compromised. Ensure industry best practice coding standards are adhered to in particular ensure all code developed at Virgin Pulse is free from bugs and security vulnerabilities, such as those defined and published by OWASP.
Why work here?
We believe a career should provide competitive pay and benefits, a collaborative and supportive work environment, strong employee culture and cutting-edge technology and services — so many reasons to love it here.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to any protected class status.