Jr. Data Engineer
Who is Virgin Pulse?
Virgin Pulse, founded as part of Sir Richard Branson’s famed Virgin Group, helps organizations build employee health and wellbeing into the DNA of their corporate cultures. As the only company to deliver a powerful, mobile-first digital platform infused with live services, including coaching and biometric screenings, Virgin Pulse’s takes a high-tech-meets-high-touch-approach to engage employees in improving across all aspects of their health and wellbeing, every day – from prevention and building a healthy lifestyle to condition and disease management to condition reversal, all while engaging users daily in building and sustaining healthy habits and behaviors. A global leader in health and wellbeing, Virgin Pulse is committed to helping change lives and businesses around the world for good so that people and organizations can thrive, together. Today, more than 3100 organizations across the globe are using Virgin Pulse’s solutions to improve health, employee wellbeing and engagement, reduce costs and create strong workplace cultures.
Who are our employees?
At Virgin Pulse we’re passionate about changing lives for good. We want to make a difference in the world by helping people be healthy so they can perform at their best, every day, at work and home. Our award-winning solutions support leading employers in improving and simplifying the employee health and wellbeing journey and engaging people in all aspects of their health. But our world-class products and programs are nothing without our people – the employees who design, build, promote, sell, test and perfect the latest innovations in workplace health and wellbeing. Our people are our top priority and we invest in their health and happiness. At Virgin Pulse, we have so much more than a strong, supportive company culture – have a shared vision for a healthier, happier world.
Who you are.
As a Jr. Data Engineer with Virgin Pulse you are capable of working on a fast-paced Data Integration pipeline. As a KEY member of the Information Management & Analytics (EDW&I), you will work closely with our ETL, BI and Business Analytics & Reporting, Engineering Teams to extract, cleanse and load data into Enterprise Data Warehouse and Build ETL pipelines to enhance and maintain to Source various client reporting Tools like Tableau, Qlik Sense, DOMO , etc., and Data Extracts. Monitor ETL jobs and AWS CloudWatch coordinate with ETL Team for issues resolution and send out notification.
You are passionate about top quality data software and knowledgeable about business insights, capable of sharing with knowledge with internal clients and customers. You understand SQL deeply and have extensive experience with data integration using industry tools such as Pentaho or SSIS (or others). You also take pride in having an agile mindset and a deep commitment to the principles of agile software development. You should understand modern non-relational databases, and how they are different from traditional databases and take pride in your excellent verbal and written communication skills and desire for a strong team ethic.
In the role of Jr. Data Engineer for Virgin Pulse you will wear many hats but attention will be crucial in the following:
- Expertise in building ETL pipelines.
- Demonstrate capability in SQL ( rdbms, no sql and columular databases)
- Using Python/scala to create clean, extensible code
- Expertise in using ETL tools like Pentaho, etc.
- Expertise in Shell scripting.
- Experience in using Jira or equivalent tools.
- Expertise in AWS services ( RDS, Redshift, Spectrum, Kinesis, EC2, Lambda, etc.,)
- Designing and implementing data warehouse schemas for big data.
- Knowledge of scripting/extracts for reporting data structures for Tableau, Qlik, DOMO, etc.,
- Eat, breath, and think agile for all
- You embrace the full lifecycle of ETL development from inception to continual support
You are passionate about quality. Ensuring accuracy and elegance in your work is something you do every day. You think carefully about anything before writing code, you code with fastidious attention to detail, you test obsessively, and you take criticism enthusiastically and improve continually.
What you bring to the team.
In order to represent the best of what we have to offer you come to us with a multitude of positive attributes including:
- You have a degree in Computer Science, MIS or Mathematics
- You have outstanding problem solving and analytical skills
- You are an amazing communicator (written and verbal) and comfortable discussing software and features
- Your ability to contribute to a planning or scheduling discussion mirrors your ability to listen and learn from your peers
What makes you stand out?
- 1 years of SQL experience ( RDBMS, AWS Redshift)
- 1 years of Python/Scala and shell scripting experience
- 1 years of a ETL Tools like Pentaho ,SSIS, Etc.,
- Experience in shell scripting,
- Experience or exposure to AWS Services (RDS, EC2, Redshift, etc.,)
- Experience with one or more non-relational database (Vertica, MongoDB, Cassandra, etc.)
- Experience with Jira and Git
Work to ensure system and data security is maintained at a high standard, ensuring the confidentiality, integrity and availability of the Virgin Pulse application is not compromised. Ensure industry best practice coding standards are adhered to in particular ensure all code developed at Virgin Pulse is free from bugs and security vulnerabilities, such as those defined and published by OWASP.
Why work here?
We believe a career should provide a collaborative and supportive work environment, strong employee culture and cutting-edge technology and services — so many reasons to love it here.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to any protected class status.