Sr. Software Development Engineer
For over 35 years, we’ve been making history. Now, we’re creating the future.
Techs on the beach
On April 14, 1981, in Honolulu, Hawaii, William “Bill” Melton incorporated his new tech company. The original intention was to provide a recourse for retailers who’d been swindled by people handing out bad checks. Bill's product was a kind of verification device using phone lines—a verification phone.
But then a pivot. The credit card industry was relatively new at the time and processing was still being done with carbon paper. Bill saw a way to reduce costs for companies like Visa and MasterCard, while capitalizing on this new technology. Instead of verifying checks, we would provide local businesses a means to electronically process credit card payments. And thus, the Verifone payment device was born.
Now, Verifone is one of the world’s largest POS terminal vendors and a leading provider of payment and commerce solutions. We operate in more than 150 countries and employ nearly 6,000 people globally. Our steady growth has come organically, through a dedication to innovation and strategic partnerships, as well as from savvy acquisitions.
Position Summary: Senior Software Development Engineer
This is an exciting direct customer enabling opportunity whereby you will work the entire software product life cycle, which includes being embedded into the Verifone software development teams and follow the product to our LATAM end customers, ensuring successful product enablement. Responsible for software design, as well as diagnosing, analyzing, solving problems and documenting systems failures for complex point of sale systems and peripherals for our clients. Establishes and maintains strong partnerships with external customers and internal regional contacts, as well as, engineering, manufacturing and quality assurance teams to effectively ensure successful first-out enablement and the timely resolution and implementation external customer reported issues. You will be able to work within and contribute to a software development team environment which requires an actual software design engineering background.
"We believe great work comes from incredible people. We’ve established a team with dedication to committed support and unmatched expertise. Whether it’s building significant client experiences or paving the way for the future breakthrough in payment technology, Verifone is a place where growing your career means making a global impact. Let’s shape the future of commerce together."
Your Essential Responsibilities:
- Performs complex, high-impact software engineering design development and customer enabling tasks.
- Work closely with the software design development teams and contribute technically as a team member. Solves highly complex and broad reaching problems.
- Follows documentation and training materials to diagnose and resolve customer issues.
- Create/update documentation after resolution of issues.
- Enters all call activity into online tracking database.
- Diagnoses software and systems failures using established procedures or by creating new means of addressing customer technical issues.
- Resolves most cost effective repair/resolution to minimize customer downtime.
- You will develop and maintain positive customer relationships. Coordinates with various functions within the company to ensure customer critical issues are handled appropriately and in a timely manner.
- Demonstrates technical leadership along with mentoring and/or training of junior engineers.
Your Knowledge & Experience:
- The ideal individual has a minimum of a Bachelor of Science degree in Electrical Engineering, Computer Science and/or Engineering in a related field with 5 to 8 years of software development experience
- Proficient with C/C++ based development and application development frameworks.
- Experience developing software in agile environments utilizing Scrum.
- Understanding of programming techniques for POS
- Being globally minded and experience co-developing with remote teams.
- Create development documents, design and develop innovative code for test and integration of software and hardware.
- Ability to work with vendors on evaluation platforms for integration of new technologies.
- Consistent track record launching your designed projects. Expertise in all phases of systems analysis, the software development process and functional engineering principles.
Your Skills & Ability:
- You are a good communicator both verbal and written and you thrive in virtual, cross-geo and multi-functional groups.
- You have very strong networking skills and collaborate with and effectively influence virtual multidiscipline cross-geo teams.
- We like people who are self-starters who enjoys working in a fast paced and dynamic environment.
- Language Proficiency – English and Spanish will be a plus
Verifone is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer.