Senior Software Design Engineer – Alternative Payment Methods
For over 35 years, we’ve been making history. Now, we’re creating the future.
Techs on the beach
On April 14, 1981, in Honolulu, Hawaii, William “Bill” Melton incorporated his new tech company. The original intention was to provide a recourse for retailers who’d been swindled by people handing out bad checks. Bill's product was a kind of verification device using phone lines—a verification phone.
But then a pivot. The credit card industry was relatively new at the time and processing was still being done with carbon paper. Bill saw a way to reduce costs for companies like Visa and MasterCard, while capitalizing on this new technology. Instead of verifying checks, we would provide local businesses a means to electronically process credit card payments. The Verifone payment device was born.
Now, Verifone is one of the world’s largest POS terminal vendors and a leading provider of payment and commerce solutions. We operate in more than 150 countries and employ nearly 6,000 people globally. Our steady growth has come organically, through a dedication to innovation and strategic partnerships, as well as from savvy acquisitions.Position Summary:
Next to card based payments so called Alternative Payments and Value Added Services are on the raise. Verifone is building a global solution providing these well-advanced services for instore and e-com use cases to our clients.
As a Software Engineer, you will be responsible for the development and maintenance of software applications running on multiple platforms such as payment terminals, smartphones, tablets and e-com solutions.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
As an Engineer, you are assigned multiple tasks and/or projects, and you are working in a dynamic, international work environment. You possess excellent analytical, social, written, and verbal skills.
Work with other team members to understand customer requirements and come up with meaningful solutions.
Lead requirements gathering, analysis and design activities with the ability to decompose larger problems into work as self-contained, minimally-dependent tasks
Flexibility to work in a fast-paced, often ambiguous environment and to adapt to changing circumstances
Ability to work as part of a geographically distributed team having members of diverse cultures
Knowledge & Experience:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science, Electronics Engineering, Electrical Engineering or other related fields plus 5 years forward-thinking experience.
- 2 years experience with SW development on Linux and Android operating systems, iOS is a plus
- 2 years experience with Web Services and associated interface protocols
- You have a thirst and ability to learn and support other applications within the development organization.
- You have experience with various tool chains, source code and CR management tools such as git, Jira
- Preferred Skills & Ability:You bring prior experience in programming for Embedded systems and proven knowledge of OOP.
- Understanding of SDLC and agile methodology.
- We require you to possess excellent verbal and written communication skills and we’re seeking a good communicator who is comfortable at all levels and able to communicate clearly across multiple geographies.
- Candidate must have an extremely high level of energy, drive, and creativity to solve complex business problems; possess strong leadership capabilities.
- Have a high tolerance for ambiguity and an ability to work and thrive in a fast-paced, customer centric and sales focused ambitious environment.
- Thrive working in a dynamic, growing environment where changes in direction or priority are possible. Ability to learn and adapt to industry practices and company policies and procedures.
- Bachelor or Master’s Degree in Electrical/Computer Engineering or Computer Science
- Exp: 5-7 years experience