Manager Hazardous Materials and Safety
To see if this position qualifies for a sign-on bonus, click here: Valley Health Sign-On Bonuses
Please Note: To protect our patients, our workforce and our community, Valley Health is requiring that all newly hired employees and internal transfers (current employees requesting internal transfers) must have received at least one COVID-19 vaccination dose. Newly hired Applicants (those not currently employed by Valley Health) who have been offered a position will have to provide documentation of their vaccination status at the time of their Employee Health appointment. For internal transfers, Employee Health will contact you if they have questions around your vaccination status. Valley Health has a process for applicants who have been offered a position to request an exemption or deferral for medical or religious reasons. To search for vaccine locations, visit vaccines.gov.
- Entity: Valley Health Corporate
- Shift: Day
Who We Are
Valley Health System is a not-for-profit network of hospitals, urgent cares, physician practices, and services. Expanding across Virginia, West Virginia, and Maryland, we are devoted to the health of all who call our 18-county area home.
A vital resource for healthcare, we are the region’s largest employer, a dependable community partner, and are at the leading edge of clinical innovations.
We are looking for passionate, innovative, and caring people who will each bring their unique skills and perspectives to our workplace.
What You Will Do:
The Hazardous Materials and Safety Manager will develop and implement training and response programs to ensure safe handling, storage, transport, and disposal of hazardous materials. This position will support VH efforts to promote the safe and compliant conduct of research, education, and patient care services across the system. The Hazardous Materials and Safety Manager serves as a resource to department leaders with understanding the appropriate regulations and standards related to hazardous material and waste specifically related to chemical, radiation, regulated medical waste, hazardous chemical and body fluid spills.
• Develops programs for the safe handling, storage, transport, disposal and spill response for chemical, biological, pharmaceutical, radioactive materials and universal waste.
• Familiar with OHSA and other Safety regulations and standard such as Joint Commission and CMS.
• Plan, organize, schedule, and conduct inspections of facilities, storage locations, work areas, and equipment to ensure VH locations are meeting or exceeding environmental and safety regulations and guidelines for Virginia and West Virginia.
• Conducts inspection for department and facility hazardous chemical and waste disposal.
• Implements and/or coordinates corrective action and follow up to ensure proper action has been taken
• Develops and provides training on applicable hazardous waste regulations and guidelines.
• Creates facility and system emergency response plans.
• Oversees and facilitates hazardous material and spill emergency response plan in the event of a hazardous spill or release.
• Maintains current knowledge of hazardous waste regulations, to comply with new regulations and amendments.
• Reviews facility generator status annually and ensure the correct generator status is used.
• Completes all Tier reports as required by RCRA regulations.
• Monitors and coordinate the VH annual hazardous chemical list updates to ensure accurate information for staff to access.
• Develops training for annual and ongoing regulations and provide training to staff and others.
• Coordinates with hazardous waste disposal vendors the removal of wastes for university's hazardous materials treatment facility.
• Maintains wastes characterization data, sampling, and analysis records. (Reflecting volume and type of wastes received.)
• Manages special projects through use of diverse resources.
• Provides input into the proper expenditure of resources.
• Participates on the Hazardous Materials team with the ability to respond to releases for the purpose of assessment, stabilization and remediation.
• Ensure proper labeling of hazardous and regulated medical waste container in the primary and satellite locations.
• Works with the facility Safety and EM managers and the facility Public Safety Manager to ensure continuous compliance.
• Chair the VHS Hazmat Committee
What You Will Bring:
AA or BS degree in related field required*
* or at least 4 years’ experience in the applicable field in lieu of degree
• Experience using technical equipment, and respiratory protective equipment.
Certification & Licensures
Valid driver's license required
Haz-Mat Technician trained or ability to achieve Haz-Mat Technician level certified within one year
• Knowledge of hazardous material clean up/removal procedures and techniques.
• Ability to correctly interpret state and federal EPA, RCRA, OSHA Hazardous Communications standard and Haz-waste regulations.
• Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills.
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
• Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail.
• Ability to write hazardous waste response plans and procedures.
• Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite or similar software.
• Ability to complete 40 hours of EPA HAZWOPER training and Bloodborne Pathogen training or commit to completing within six months of hire.
• Ability to meet all physical requirements of the job and any certification required at hire or after.
• Ability to work in a team environment as a collaborative, professional and respectful team member.
• Ability to complete job duties and responsibilities while wearing personal protective equipment (PPE), including a respirator.
• Ability to work a schedule that may include on-call responsibilities to cover holiday, weekend and after hour response.
• Ability to work safely with and around hazardous materials (e.g. chemical, biological, radioactive)
• Strong record-keeping capabilities
• Ability to communicate effectively with others, both verbally and in-writing
• Comfortable working in a variety of workspaces including patient care, laboratory and outdoor environments
• Ability to use the Microsoft Office Suite and experience with basic internet browsers.
What You Will Get:
- Competitive salary
- Flexible scheduling
- Health Insurance
- Paid Time Off
- Wellness Program
- Tuition Assistance
- Retirement Plan
- Life Insurance
*some benefits are subject to change due to job status
We celebrate, support, and thrive on our differences for the benefit of our employees, our patients, and the communities we serve.
We are neighbors caring for neighbors, and our goal is always to help those we serve get well, feel well, and stay well.
Criminal Background Checks
VA State Police
3rd party Background Check
3 A Administration