Respiratory Therapist (Per Diem/Flex)
- Shift: Varied Shifts
Who We Are
Valley Health System is a not-for-profit network of hospitals, urgent cares, physician practices, and services. Expanding across Virginia, West Virginia, and Maryland, we are devoted to the health of all who call our 18-county area home.
A vital resource for healthcare, we are the region’s largest employer, a dependable community partner, and are at the leading edge of clinical innovations.
We are looking for passionate, innovative, and caring people who will each bring their unique skills and perspectives to our workplace.
What You Will Do:
• Performs non-invasive SpO2 monitoring through pulse oximetry via overnight studies, exercise, continuous and spot checks.
• Administers all therapy modalities to patients per physician orders and/or protocols/policies.
• Performs airway clearance therapy, including vest
• Performs basic operations on the Epic system.
• Performs regular equipment rounds.
• Performs equipment cleaning and set up.
• Sets up and operates CPAP/Bi-PAP therapy.
• Performs arterial puncture and blood gas analysis.
• Responds and participates in Rapid Response situations.
• Responds and participates in all code blue situations.
• Responds and participates in all trauma activations.
• Initiates, operates, and monitors mechanical ventilators.
• Assists in bedside therapeutic bronchoscopies.
• Assists in intubations as needed.
Per Diem employees do not participate in Clinical Ladders. Per Diem employees will have annual performance reviews. Per Diem Respiratory Therapist work assignments are contingent on work experience and the employee maintaining the required specific competencies per area, as listed below.
Acute Care: No minimum work experience required. Competencies required- Acute Care Competencies.
Adult Critical Care: Minimum two (2) years experience in Respiratory Care. Competencies Required- Adult Critical Care Competencies. Advanced Cardiac Life Support (ACLS) certification or Rhythm & Med. certification.
Neonatal Critical Care: Minimum two (2) years experience in Respiratory Care.
Competencies Required- Neonatal Critical Care Competencies. Neonatal Resuscitation Program (NRP) certification.
Certification & Licensures
VA State Respiratory Care Practitioner license (prior to department orientation)
Registered Respiratory Therapist upon hire
BLS Certification (Basic Life Support) - American Heart ‘Healthcare Provider’ (HCP) - AHA approved required
TECHNICAL REQUIREMENTS: Respiratory Therapists are expected to have a fundamental, working knowledge of anatomy and physiology, disease processes, diagnostic procedures, and therapeutic modalities. This includes, but is obviously not limited to: • Arterial Blood Gas (ABG), EKG, oximetry, capnography, and chest x-ray analysis and interpretation and their relevance to the patient’s care. • Medical gas cylinders and regulators. • Oxygen delivery devices. • Mechanical ventilators (relative to all age groups of patients) • Therapeutic pulmonary modalities • Pulmonary Diagnostics • While performing job functions related to respiratory medication administration, personnel may access medication storage areas. • Attention to details • Ability to respond appropriately under stress • Maintain professional demeanor with patients, physicians and employees Certified and competent to perform all prescribed duties as outlined in the Job Description to patients ages infant to adult.
What You Will Get:
- Competitive salary
- Flexible scheduling
- Onsite Childcare (available at some locations)
- Health Insurance
- Paid Time Off
- Wellness Program
- Tuition Assistance
- Retirement Plan
- Life Insurance
*some benefits are subject to change due to job status
We celebrate, support, and thrive on our differences for the benefit of our employees, our patients, and the communities we serve.
We are neighbors caring for neighbors, and our goal is always to help those we serve get well, feel well, and stay well.
Criminal Background Checks
VA State Police
3rd party Background Check
23 A Therapist