Charge Nurse - Surgical Services
To see if this position qualifies for a sign-on bonus, click here: Valley Health Sign-On Bonuses
- Entity: Winchester Medical Center
- Shift: Day
Who We Are
Valley Health System is a not-for-profit network of hospitals, urgent cares, physician practices, and services. Expanding across Virginia, West Virginia, and Maryland, we are devoted to the health of all who call our 18-county area home.
A vital resource for healthcare, we are the region’s largest employer, a dependable community partner, and are at the leading edge of clinical innovations.
We are looking for passionate, innovative, and caring people who will each bring their unique skills and perspectives to our workplace.
What You Will Do:
• Coordinates all unit operations on assigned shift, and assures compliance with regulatory requirements • Facilitates proper placement of patients on nursing unit • Makes room assignments and keeps up with assignment board • Adjusts all staff appropriately (flexing up and down) utilizing the staffing guidelines per unit • Assures staff remains compliant with documentation standards • Serves as a clinical resource for unit staff and encourages evidence based practice • Provides direct patient care for a team of patients when indicated by unplanned changes in acuity, peak census, or staffing • Serves as a liaison between physicians and hospital departments to facilitate smooth operations of the unit during assigned shift • Works with staff to facilitate patient satisfaction scores within acceptable range • Holds staff accountable for performance and identifies practice areas needing improvement and makes appropriate referrals. Gives input to Clinical Manager/Director and/or completes performance appraisals and feedback using peer review process • Assists Clinical Manager/Director in holding unit staff accountable for ensuring patient safety through compliance with patient safety initiatives and regulatory requirements • Assists Clinical Manager/Director by following up and making initial comments on risk reports/events occurring during assigned shifts • Completes Continuing Education in management/mentoring • Demonstrates a self-directed interdisciplinary leadership style • Maintains current knowledge and competency in nursing practice • Demonstrates and models expert communication skills by listening and understanding another’s point of view • Maintains a supportive and dynamic clinical partnership with unit management by supporting facilitating change on the unit level • Assists Clinical Manager/Director to facilitate staff participation in performance improvement, risk management activities, hospital, and unit based projects and shared governance committees • Serves as a role model for professional nursing practice SCOPE OF AUTHORITY: The purpose of the role is to provide direct clinical supervision to assist in maintaining appropriate clinical standards and to facilitate the functioning of nursing units or assigned area for a defined shift.
What You Will Bring:
Bachelors Nursing (BSN) required
3 Years Healthcare/Medical - Nursing General
Required RN experience: Currently an RN III within VH, or meets criteria to be hired as an RN III (all 5 of the last 5 calendar years in a comparable acute care specialty setting) or Currently in a Non-Ladder RN position within VH with a minimum of 5 years of recent relevant experience or Currently an RN II within VH with a minimum overall rating of exceeds standards on most recent VH performance appraisal
Certification & Licensures
National certification by specialty organization preferred (Force 1 and 14)
Multi-state license;under the Nurse Licensure Compact OR Single-state license,valid in Virginia only
BLS Certification (Basic Life Support) - American Heart ‘Healthcare Provider’ (HCP) - AHA approved required *
Advance Cardiac Life Support (ACLS) preferred
Based on primary state of residency and in accordance with current Virginia Board of Nursing Regulations, must be licensed or eligible to practice pending licensure as a Registered Nurse in the Commonwealth of Virginia with either a: Multi-state license; under the Nurse Licensure Compact OR Single-state license, valid in Virginia only.
* New hires must have American Heart Association (AHA) appropriate certification prior to completion of orientation.
• Demonstrates ability to set priorities and make appropriate decisions. • Competent to provide care using the nursing process • Demonstrates mentoring, teaching and leadership skills. • Knowledge in the cognitive, physical, emotional and chronological stages of human growth and development.
What You Will Get:
At Valley Health, we believe everyone is a caregiver, and our goal is to create an environment where our caregivers thrive physically, financially, and emotionally. In addition to a competitive salary, our most popular benefits for full-time employees include:
• A Zero-Deductible Health Plan
• Dental and vision insurance
• Generous Paid Time Off
• Tuition Assistance
• Retirement Savings Match
• A Robust Employee Assistance Program to help with many aspects of emotional wellbeing
• Membership to Healthy U: An Incentive-Based Wellness Program
Valley Health also offers a health savings account & flexible spending account for childcare, life insurance, short-term and long-term disability, and professional development. In addition, several perks come with working for the largest employer in the region, such as discounts to on-campus dining, and more.
To see the full scale of what we offer, visit valleyhealthbenefits.com.
We celebrate, support, and thrive on our differences for the benefit of our employees, our patients, and the communities we serve.
We are neighbors caring for neighbors, and our goal is always to help those we serve get well, feel well, and stay well.
Criminal Background Checks
VA State Police
3rd party Background Check
20 A Nursing, Certified Nursing Assistants (CNA), Patient Care Tech.