Respiratory Therapist II NICU
To see if this position qualifies for a sign-on bonus, click here: Valley Health Sign-On Bonuses
Please Note: To protect our patients, our workforce and our community, Valley Health is requiring that all newly hired employees and internal transfers (current employees requesting internal transfers) must have received at least one COVID-19 vaccination dose. Newly hired Applicants (those not currently employed by Valley Health) who have been offered a position will have to provide documentation of their vaccination status at the time of their Employee Health appointment. For internal transfers, Employee Health will contact you if they have questions around your vaccination status. Valley Health has a process for applicants who have been offered a position to request an exemption or deferral for medical or religious reasons. To search for vaccine locations, visit vaccines.gov.
- Entity: Winchester Medical Center
- Shift: Day
Who We Are
Valley Health System is a not-for-profit network of hospitals, urgent cares, physician practices, and services. Expanding across Virginia, West Virginia, and Maryland, we are devoted to the health of all who call our 18-county area home.
A vital resource for healthcare, we are the region’s largest employer, a dependable community partner, and are at the leading edge of clinical innovations.
We are looking for passionate, innovative, and caring people who will each bring their unique skills and perspectives to our workplace.
What You Will Do:
As a Respiratory Therapist II, you will participate on the clinical ladder, which reflects a degree of professional practice and clinical expertise.
The Respiratory Therapist cares for patients in the neonate, infant, child, adolescent, adult, and geriatric age groups. This individual provides services in accordance with specific physician orders, department policies, procedures and protocols. This individual is responsible for patient assessments, patient education, implementation of therapy and the evaluation of the effectiveness of therapy. It is the responsibility of the Respiratory Therapist to be an active participant in a multidisciplinary team in communicating the needs of the patient with the physician and members of the care health team.
The essential functions listed below are general examples and not a description of comprehensive duties. Specific duties and responsibilities may vary depending on department or program needs without changing nature or scope of this position or level of responsibility.
Other duties include, but are not limited to:
• Performs non-invasive SpO2 monitoring through pulse oximetry via overnight studies, exercise, continuous and spot checks • Administers all therapy modalities to patients per physician orders and/or protocols and policies • Performs airway clearance therapy • Performs basic operations on the EHR system • Performs regular assessment rounds • Performs equipment cleaning and set up • Sets up and operates non-invasive ventilation therapy • Performs arterial puncture and blood gas analysis • Responds and participates appropriately in rapid response and emergency situations • Give thorough, accurate report to oncoming staff upon shift end • Responds and participates in all code situations • Responds and participates in all trauma activations • Initiates, operates, and monitors mechanical ventilators • Ability to assist in bedside therapeutic bronchoscopies • Assists in intubations as needed • Sets up and manages high flow oxygen therapy • Ability to perform cardiopulmonary diagnostic and therapeutic procedures
What You Will Bring:
Program Completion of an accredited educational program for respiratory care
2 years required
Certification & Licensures
Respiratory Care Practitioner (RCP) License Required
Registered Respiratory Therapist (RRT) or Certified Respiratory Therapist (CRT) with 5YR experience Required
BLS (Basic Life Support) Certification - American Heart 'Healthcare Provider' (HCP) - AHA approved Required**
ACLS (Advanced Cardiac Life Support) Certification or EKG & Pharmacology Course Required
Pediatric Advanced Life Support (PALS) Certification Entity specific***
Neonatal Resuscitation Provider (NRP) Certification Entity specific***
* Employee must be RRT or a CRT with 5 years of experience to be eligible for RT II.
** New hires must have American Heart Association (AHA) appropriate certification prior to the completion of orientation.
*** Requirements for these certifications are entity specific. Arrangements will be made within 45 days of hire if employee is required to obtain the certifications by the hiring manager.
• Strong motivational and organization skills.
• Strong time management skills.
• Ability to handle moderate to high stressful situations in a calm and conscientious manner.
• Strong verbal communication skills.
• Demonstrates competency and performs consistently under non-routine conditions and complex situations.
• Models behavior in alignment with the organizational values.
• Works well with client family members to ensure comfort and respect for the client’s illness.
• Demonstrates a professional attitude at all times.
In addition, for RT II, employees are required have the following:
• 6 Annual CEUs
• One recommendation of peer support
• One year of critical care experience
• Cross trained to work in multiple areas such as critical care, cardiopulmonary rehab, NICU, etc.
• Minimum of 3 hours of community service project related to healthcare industry OR annual PDSA, committee, or performance improvement project as approved by the leadership team
What You Will Get:
- Competitive salary
- Flexible scheduling
- Health Insurance
- Paid Time Off
- Wellness Program
- Tuition Assistance
- Retirement Plan
- Life Insurance
*some benefits are subject to change due to job status
We celebrate, support, and thrive on our differences for the benefit of our employees, our patients, and the communities we serve.
We are neighbors caring for neighbors, and our goal is always to help those we serve get well, feel well, and stay well.
Criminal Background Checks
VA State Police
3rd party Background Check
23 A Therapist