Senior Data Scientist
We are UMG, the Universal Music Group. We are the world’s leading music company. In everything we do, we are committed to artistry, innovation and entrepreneurship. We own and operate a broad array of businesses engaged in recorded music, music publishing, merchandising, and audiovisual content in more than 60 countries. We identify and develop recording artists and songwriters, and we produce, distribute and promote the most critically acclaimed and commercially successful music to delight and entertain fans around the world.
How we LEAD:
Are you interested in working for the music industry? Would you like to help develop unique cutting-edge data science solutions to help drive innovation and creative data driven strategies across Universal Music Group?
Universal Music Group is looking for a Data Scientist to join our in-house Data Science R&D team, working across prediction, segmentation, price optimization, machine learning, adtech and other areas where data and statistical methods can be applied to measurable advantage. Working on interesting high value problems from teams across the business, including frontline labels, A&R, catalogue, commercial, advertising and marketing. While also working in close collaboration with data architects, analysts and platform development teams to deliver scalable solutions to the business.
The ideal candidate should have a strong statistical background, with a very good understanding of common machine learning techniques. While we encourage the team to use the right tools for the job, candidates should at least be proficient in R or Python & SQL at a minimum.
This candidate should also have a demonstrated ability to manage client requests in a professional manner, communicate research and learnings to a variety of different audience types (from Senior Executives down to fellow Analysts), and work in both project teams and in silo to solve interesting problems in a consultative fashion.
How you’ll CREATE:
- Research and develop data driven solutions to help solve current and future business problems.
- Build/refine/improve new or pre-existing statistical models or processes.
- Advise on data related topics to help guide or inform business decisions.
- Preparing data sets for applications such as classification, modelling and clustering.
- Developing new data features that can become invaluable pieces of insight.
- Supporting other data related teams to design new KPI’s and models to enhance their tooling.
Bring your VIBE:
- 5+ years of work experience in Data Science related roles.
- Experience managing and engaging with clients in a consultative or analytical capacity.
- Experience working with development teams to productize work.
- Experience of managing projects and small working teams.
- Passion and curiosity for music and the data that is used within the industry
- Knowledge/foundation in Statistics
- Proficient in at least one of R and Python
- Ability to query our databases (using platforms such as BigQuery) accurately and efficiently using SQL
- Excellent knowledge of using common Python/R statistical packages such as NumPy, SciPy, Stats-models
- Working knowledge of machine learning concepts and techniques and their application
- Knowledge or experience of working with Google Cloud Platforms products like BigQuery, Dataflow, Dataproc, Machine Leaning or similar cloud solutions would be desirable
- Importantly being creative and thinking outside the box in the way we tackle and build solutions
- Degree in Computer Science, Economics, Mathematics, Statistics or a similarly quantitative degree
- Competitive Compensation Package including Salary, Benefits and Generous 401k Savings Plan
- Paid Time Off – Paid Holidays, “Gift Week”, Summer Fridays
- Student Loan Repayment Assistance
- Employee Developmental Support
- Annual Gym Reimbursement Package
- Pet Insurance, plus much more!
Universal Music Group is an Equal Opportunity Employer