Senior Data Analyst
Music is Universal
It’s the passionate and dedicated team at Universal Music who help make us the world’s leading music company. From A&R to finance, legal to digital, sales to marketing, Universal Music is the place to grow and develop your career within a truly commercial and innovative business that leads in everything it does.
Everyone is welcome to apply for our roles, and we are determined to ensure that no applicant or employee receives less favourable treatment because of gender, race, disability, sexual orientation, religion, belief, age, marital status, background, pregnancy or caring responsibilities. We also recognise the importance of diversity of thought within our teams and are fully committed to embracing the talents of people with autism, dyslexia, ADHD and other forms of neurocognitive variation.
We will always seek to make appropriate adjustments to recruitment, workplaces, and work processes to be fully inclusive to people with different needs and working styles. If you need us to make any reasonable adjustments for you from application onwards, including alternatives to the online form or to disclose a neurocognitive condition, please email Helen@umusic.com
The A Side: A Day in The Life
We are looking for a highly motivated person to work as part of the Global Rights & Society Relations team focusing on Neighbouring Rights.
This person will be expected to initiate and perform a wide-ranging set of analytical research projects and deliver logical, evidence-based results. The ability to build analysis that can help resolve issues and highlight business opportunities for the team will be vital so an eye for detail to spot trends, anomalies and deviations in business data and a creative and open approach to building and presenting results are a must, as is the curiosity to continually challenge and question these data.
This is an exciting opportunity to work in a new team with a focus on Neighbouring Rights and with a commitment to deliver excellent standards of service for all UMG’s Labels and Artists. It is essential that the individual have an interest in being part of a developing department with a constructive approach to change – this is a challenging role which offers a real opportunity to contribute to a growing part of our business.
The B Side: Skills & Experience
- Provide research and analysis to support business queries across a range of topics to service a variety of business needs and customers. This will require mining of large and complex data sets including revenues, radio, TV and digital usage
- Define and implement processes for efficient analysis and tracking of Neighbouring Rights revenues using both internal and external data sources
- Prepare and present regular analysis of Neighbouring Rights revenues to UMG labels and affiliates
- Analyse radio and TV airplay data to identify trends and derive insights for new business opportunities
- Using business intelligence data, explore unusual observations and undertake the research/analysis required in order to continually modify and improve the scope of tracking analysis
- Assist the team in preparing for society visits and interactions through the identification, extraction, analysis and presentation of key society and company data
- Ad hoc projects and responsibilities as required in response to changing business requirements
Job Specific Skills
- Advanced skills in Microsoft Office Excel, and very comfortable at learning customised systems
- Significant experience with SQL / Google Big Query and data visualisation tools such as DOMO
- Proven analytical skills and ability to translate data into meaningful analysis and insights to help support and explain activities to the wider business
- Ability to make complex numerical calculations and to manipulate and clearly present data in excel, Powerpoint and other desk-top solutions
- Experience in the music industry helpful but not mandatory but must have a willingness to learn the intricacies of the business, its data and processes.
- Motivated by resolving issues and with an ability to calmly and effectively manage these issues through to successful resolution in a timely manner
Time & Work Management
- Works towards team/department/company objectives and takes pride in meeting targets and satisfying internal and external customers
- Manages self and follows through on tasks and to do lists so that deadlines are consistently met in the most efficient and effective way
- Prides oneself on accurate analysis, rigorous research, effective problem-solving and steady, focused effort
- Sets priorities and plans workload efficiently. Consults manager and colleagues where appropriate to solve problems and complete tasks and projects to deadlines
Teamwork & Collaboration
- Supports, co-operates and collaborates with others across the organisation
- Open-minded, flexible and cooperative with the needs and priorities of the team so that customer needs are met consistently
- Responds appropriately to direction regarding key performance indicators and service level agreements
- Ability to communicate clearly in a courteous and professional manner with clients and colleagues
- Ability to escalate issues appropriately in a timely and professional manner
Initiative & Motivation
- Flexible, enthusiastic and effective approach to implementing tasks, taking on new work and assignments, developing new skills and servicing customers
- Prepared and motivated to be part of an evolving business environment with an interest in improving customer service and developing the role, processes and procedures
Bonus Tracks: Your Benefits
- Group Personal Pension Scheme (between 3% and 9%)
- Private Medical Insurance
- 25 paid days of annual leave
- Interest Free Season Ticket Loan
- Holiday Purchase scheme
- Dental and Travel Insurance options
- Cycle to Work Scheme
- Salary Sacrifice Cars
- Subsidised Gym Membership
- Employee Discounts (Reward Gateway)
Just So You Know…
The company presents this job description as a guide to the major areas and duties for which the jobholder is accountable. However, the business operates in an environment that demands change and the jobholder's specific responsibilities and activities will vary and develop. Therefore, the job description should be seen as indicative and not as a permanent, definitive and exhaustive statement.