Director, Brand Insights, US
We are UMG, the Universal Music Group. We are the world’s leading music company. In everything we do, we are committed to artistry, innovation, and entrepreneurship. We own and operate a broad array of businesses engaged in recorded music, music publishing, merchandising, and audio-visual content in more than 60 countries. We identify and develop recording artists and songwriters, and we produce, distribute and promote the most critically acclaimed and commercially successful music to delight and entertain fans around the world.
How we LEAD:
Universal Music Group and Brands (‘UMGB’) is a newly created division within Universal Music Group USA, set up to offer a more centralized new business and partnership approach to brand, media and agency partners. UMGB accesses the breadth and depth of the Universal Music Group’s incredible roster, assets, and IP to deliver music-based marketing solutions to brands/business partners.
The Director for Brand Insight is a key role responsible for developing strategic direction for brands entering the music space. Its primary focus will be to help offer a consultative approach to music and brand marketing and translate primary insight into actionable strategic and creative direction. This role will also be responsible for campaign evaluation, enabling us to leverage learnings to drive future strategy effectiveness.
How you’ll CREATE:
- Lead the delivery of research (primary & secondary), putting strategic thinking at the heart of the project to inform content and business development and brand strategies.
- Driving active partnership with clients on an ongoing basis, maintaining the highest standards of output and confidently delivering presentations to senior client audiences
- Leverage primary and secondary data sources to identify market trends and customer insights and translate these into actionable brand ideas and strategies.
- Engage in compelling business storytelling to ensure insight inspires strategic decision making
- Develop strategic positioning frameworks in order to best articulate a brands purpose in music
- Work in a highly collaborative & cross-functional team environment.
- Extract insights from complex research, identifying the implications and ideas for brand growth
- Build thought-provoking insight narratives that fuel creative thinking, trend frameworks, immersion sessions, and cultural perspectives.
- Identify and author thought leadership pieces to establish UMG’s leadership position in the music and entertainment space.
How you’ll CREATE:
- 5-7 years of successful experience in media or brand strategy insight and analysis. Agency background preferable.
- Experience in managing and leveraging a strong/major brand.
- Strong relationship development and the ability to work in a large multi-platform sales organization.
- Track record of dealing with senior-level marketers and agency clients.
- Experience working with multiple media – media planning background would be useful.
- Project management experience in a relevant environment is essential.
- Proven experience of dealing and influencing senior management across multiple lines of business.
- Advanced Word, Excel and PowerPoint skills.
- Can analyze a problem from multiple perspectives and reason potential ways forward. Thinks laterally to solve a challenge.
- Ability to develop logical and convincing arguments spanning multiple client sectors.
- Strong presentation skills (preparation and delivery); credibly ‘pitches’ to clients
- Effective communicator with proven negotiating skills.
- Strong collaborative skills to deliver results for the team.
- Proven effectiveness in project design as well as project leadership; including qualitative and quantitative measurements
- Ability to facilitate large groups in a workshop environment
- Sets high standards of self and others; a proactive approach to opportunities
- Experience modeling costs
- A strategic thinker that is also a “doer”
- Must be detailed, precision-oriented
- Bachelor’s degree
- Competitive Compensation Package including Salary, Benefits and Generous 401k Savings Plan
- Paid Time Off – Paid Holidays, “Gift Week”, Summer Fridays
- Student Loan Repayment Assistance
- Employee Developmental Support
- Annual Gym Reimbursement Package
- Pet Insurance, plus much more!
Universal Music Group is an Equal Opportunity Employer