JOB OPPORTUNITY – HIP-HOP & R&B MARKETING MANAGER
Closing Date: April 9, 2021
The UMC team is currently working from home due to the global pandemic.
You must be comfortable working in a virtual/remote environment.
Universal Music Canada is Canada’s leading music company, engaged in recorded music, music publishing, merchandising, and audiovisual content. Home to the most comprehensive catalogue of recordings and songs across every musical genre, UMC is committed to artistry, innovation and entrepreneurship in broadening opportunities for our artists on both the domestic and world stages as well as creating new experiences for fans.
Universal Music Canada is part of Universal Music Group, the world leader in music-based entertainment.
We are searching for creative, innovative and passionate people to join our team. If you love music and got excited just thinking about joining our team, we would love to meet you!
As Hip-Hop & R&B Marketing Manager, you will oversee and direct all aspects of marketing across artist campaigns, partnering with our labels, managers and artists to develop marketing campaigns that strategize the best course to market for their releases.
- Oversee all aspects of marketing, project and product management for International Hip-Hop, R&B artists in Canada
- Be immersed and have thorough knowledge of Hip-Hop, R&B culture with experience of promoter circuit, club DJs, charts, digital and social media platforms, and grassroots/street marketing
- Create, communicate and execute comprehensive marketing campaigns that engage fans, raise visibility and drive commercial results
- Build and manage smart marketing budgets that help deliver maximum visibility while also focusing on the highest return of investment
- Understand and leverage user engagement and marketing opportunities on digital platforms such as YouTube, VEVO, Instagram, Twitter, Tik Tok and more
- Identify viral, digital, and word-of-mouth marketing opportunities with the goal of driving traffic to artist profiles across DSPs, fan acquisition, and building brand awareness for artists
- Explore new digital platforms to develop relationships to maximize audience reach and build artist profile in Canada and globally
- Work collaboratively with internal and external stakeholders to build and support artists’ brands
- Oversee the execution of artist assets (photos and videos, content for social platforms, advertising assets, logos, website, street marketing tools)
- Consult with A&R, Promotion, Creative, Digital Strategy, E-Commerce, and Publicity teams on rollout plans to maximize opportunities and exposure for each artist project
- Continually evaluate consumer response data including streaming, radio, media and artist socials in order to make informed marketing decisions, staying proactive with appropriately designed campaigns
- Know how to query and speak to specific data points that are meaningful to partner account relations and artist/manager expectations
- Work cross-functionally across all departments and with artist management
- Ability to manage multiple projects with competing priorities
- Other duties as assigned
- Post-secondary education preferred
- A winning attitude and willingness to find new opportunities for our artists’ long-term success
- Self-starter driven to build and maintain positive relationships
- Team player and collaborator who will lead projects while learning with peers in various departments working toward shared success for all artists
- Experience creating and leading marketing campaigns and strategies for music launches and artist development
- General knowledge of all departments within a label including digital marketing, publicity, A&R, creative and radio promotion
- Deep knowledge of analytical tools available on all social platforms and ability to pull actionable insights from the data available
- Organize, prioritize and execute a wide range of tasks under tight deadlines
- Creative, innovative, detail-oriented and resourceful
- Must be tech savvy with deep understanding of current and emerging technologies and general market trends
- Strong written and verbal communication abilities
- Must have strong music industry relationships and vision to work with in-house and 3rd party PR, Promo, Creative and Digital Marketing teams
- 5+ years experience in music industry marketing
- Label experience preferred including strong knowledge in both Domestic and International repertoire
Please apply before Friday, April 9, 2021
Universal Music Canada is committed to equity, diversity and inclusion, and strongly welcomes and encourages applications from Indigenous Peoples, Black people, people of colour, women, persons with disabilities, people who are LGBTQ2S+, and people from other diverse communities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.