Sr. Manager, Streaming & Playlisting Strategy (EDM/Lo-fi )
Virgin Music Label & Artist Services is the Independent Services division of Capitol Music Group, providing a full range of label services and revenue streams for Caroline’s artists, releases and label associations on a worldwide basis, including Marketing, Promotion, Commercial Development, Branding, Synch & Licensing, Lifestyle Marketing, Business Affairs and Finance.
How we LEAD:
Virgin Music Label & Artist Services is looking for a Sr. Manager, Streaming & Playlisting Strategy. The Sr. Manager will interface with Programmers at all Accounts & Streaming Services, pitching and strategizing releases in the EDM, Lo-fi, and categories crossing into other feeder genres. This role's core focus is pitching for editorial playlisting, strategizing how to grow a record through various playlists, maintaining best-in-class relationships, and analyzing user behavioral data to identify opportunities in the streaming ecosystem. This role requires regular visibility reporting, planning, strategizing, and recommendations with DSP partners, labels, and artists. Regular presentations to discuss user behavior, consumption data, and strategy to the organization.
This role will work collaboratively within the Commercial team and report to the Head of Commercial Marketing. It requires a wide-ranging skillset in a very fast-paced, forward-thinking label group and requires a unique perspective to think ahead and anticipate tomorrow's needs today.
As Sr. Manager, Streaming & Playlisting Strategy, you will play a key role in pitching and securing our artists' visibility and repertoire across the Commercial space. You will create effective streaming marketing campaigns that serve as vehicles to foster discovery and streaming growth. You will live and breathe the editorial playlist ecosystem and communicate regularly with our partners so that our labels, artists, and repertoire are top of mind for all opportunities.
How you’ll CREATE:
- Relationship Management: develop and maintain strong relationships and work specifically with DSP/Streaming service programmers (Spotify, Apple, YouTube, Amazon, Pandora, Tidal, etc.) to drive storytelling and strategy while collaborating with the corresponding account lead by utilizing plot, marketing, cultural capital, and data to deliver on targets/goals/plans while supporting/supplying necessary asset collection and pitch administration
Partner Relations: Work with both label and commercial partners to develop a strategy and deliver necessary assets for the best go-to-market approach while being available for meetings to provide performance recaps using internal dashboards and data tools. This insight will help formulate your advice, strategy, and weekly reporting.
- Data-Driven Analytics: Query and speak to specific data points meaningful to account relations and artist/manager expectations, using these insights to determine your strategic next steps in growing a record across streaming services. Managing a weekly priority focus list and immersing yourself in the user behavior and consumer data.
Go-to-Market Strategy: Understand the demographics that comprise the streaming partners' playlist hypothesis and artists' fan bases, and, based on the timeline and information provided, regularly develop and communicate playlist targets and streaming goals.
- Marketing Tools: help develop and foster a variety of marketing tools and communications targeted inside and outside the organization to ensure all priority content, assets, and drivers surfaced to contacts in a consistent, near real-time manner.
Promotional Alignment: seek, secure, and ensure execution of promotional opportunities within the scope of opportunity, including partner-led content capture activations or launch events
- Partner Currency: in concert with the marketing and social media teams, help develop account partner currency in the form of social media tagging, playlisting, and various other uses of partner platforms and toolkits to support artist partnership
- Culture-Driven Focus: know of, be immersed in, and speak eloquently to the pulse/relevance of an artist within the scene’s culture, conveying what is meaningful for account relations and benchmarking artist/manager expectations.
- Weekly Updates: Create and drive weekly updates for all partners, highlighting playlist adds, growth areas, and priority releases opportunities. Also working with label partners to ensure they are consistently delivering concise/meaningful updates for the commercial team.
- New Opportunities: consistently look to find new third-party partners that can help market and promote our releases. Also, work with pre-existing partners to develop new ways to help raise our partners' profiles
- Virgin Music "branding"/visibility: Act as a "face" to Virgin Music, maintaining a presence at concerts and events (post-COVID)
Bring your VIBE:
- 6+ years of music industry experience with an emphasis on streaming, consumer-driven sales, promotion, or marketing
- A passion & comprehensive knowledge of Dance, Electronic, Lo-fi and Other categories of music, both past and present
- Experience strategizing and executing marketing campaigns, including pitching proposals for prospective clients
- Knowledge and interest in tastemakers & critical players of the Dance, Electronic, Lo-fi and Other categories of music’s community and where/when to best utilize
- Must be familiar with/able to navigate partner dashboards and adapt to numerous data tools, with the ability to understand user behavior through data
- Must be tech-savvy with a deep understanding of current & forthcoming cultural, musical, sub-genre trends, a bonus for interest in technologies and general market trends
- Must have numerous key contact/relationships across the Dance & Electronic landscape (Apple, Spotify, Tidal, etc., as well as radio, blogs, tastemakers, press, etc.)
- Candidates should be extraverted, analytical, creative, innovative, detail-oriented, and resourceful.
- Ability to act as a leader and advocate for the genre across multiple departments, including but not limited to A&R, Digital, Finance, International, Legal, Marketing, Promotion, and Commercial, daily
- A relaxed and confident approach to all business relationships internally and externally. The ability to put oneself in the position of an artist, manager, or partner at any given time to see their side as needed
- Must have a desire and be available for after-hour meetings, shows, artist and programmer relations (post-COVID)
- An impeccable ability to build and maintain many relationships across the industry, with a 'partner first' mindset
- Strong analytical skills with the ability to efficiently communicate strategy, results, and market conditions that will drive project growth and optimization
- Must have a strong understanding of the streaming landscape and how to optimize the content across the platforms
- Strong organizational skills with the ability to prioritize based on an evolving workload and fast-paced environment
- Must have an appetite for process and a willingness to utilize project management tools
- Strong attention to detail
- A great storyteller with strong communication skills with the ability to write and convey performance results to executives and management
- Strong interpersonal and teamwork skills, including adaptability, personal effectiveness, and the ability to establish quick rapport
- Strong organizational and time management skills, including prioritization and follow-through
- Must be collaborative. A team player who is willing to be part of a 'family' culture
- Competitive Compensation Package including Salary, Benefits and Generous 401k Savings Plan
- Paid Time Off – Paid Holidays, “Gift Week”, Summer Fridays
- Student Loan Repayment Assistance
- Employee Developmental Support
- Annual Gym Reimbursement Package
- Pet Insurance, plus much more!
Universal Music Group is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Disclaimer: This job description only provides an overview of job responsibilities that are subject to change.