We are UMG, the Universal Music Group. We are the world’s leading music company. In everything we do, we are committed to artistry, innovation and entrepreneurship. We own and operate a broad array of businesses engaged in recorded music, music publishing, merchandising, and audiovisual content in more than 60 countries. We identify and develop recording artists and songwriters, and we produce, distribute and promote the most critically acclaimed and commercially successful music to delight and entertain fans around the world.
We are currently seeking a highly motivated & experienced Attorney. This position is responsible for a heavy transaction flow in connection with the negotiating and drafting various music and entertainment related agreements with third parties, rights clearances and rendering legal advice with respect to the acquisition of content and the exploitation of recorded product.
• Provide on-going legal counselling resulting from the above-mentioned transactions. This will include drafting, reviewing and negotiating a variety of legal agreements such as Joint Venture, Profit Sharing, production, artist, producer, licensing agreements, pressing and distribution agreements, video and photo agreements, remix agreements, and other entertainment and music industry related agreements
• Providing input and support in connection with the legal implications of strategic entertainment business strategies and decisions and assisting with the negotiating, drafting and implementation thereof
• Responsible for reviewing data briefs, and monitoring critical dates, payments and other ongoing rights and obligations of the company as set forth in contracts, and informing appropriate company personnel of such information
• Responsible for clearing legal rights and pre-approving the release of recorded products, and rendering legal advice arising out and in connection therewith
• Bilingual-English/Spanish preferred
• Proven, in-depth knowledge of agreements relating to the production, distribution, sales, marketing, financing and recorded music and video product a must
• Must be adept at drafting and negotiating recorded content acquisition, marketing and exploitation agreements
• Strong knowledge of music law, music industry, and record label issues is a must
• Strong customer/client service skills a must
• Must be able to work under time constraints
• Ability to multi-task and juggle competing priorities
• Computer experience: Internet, Microsoft Word, Excel, and Outlook
• Must have excellent verbal, written, and interpersonal communication skills
• Highly motivated and with a desire to work in a team environment
• Ability to keep information confidential
• Must be willing to work extended hours
• Must be able to work independently with minimal supervision and well organized
• 6+ years of experience required
• Strong law firm or business and legal affairs experience/training required
• BA/BS degree, JD, and licensed to practice in any of the following jurisdiction: CA, FL, and/or NY
Universal Music Group is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
This job description only provides an overview of job responsibilities that are subject to change.