Data Scientist (CONTRACT / REMOTE)
We are UMG, the Universal Music Group. We are the world’s leading music company. In everything we do, we are committed to artistry, innovation, and entrepreneurship. We own and operate a broad array of businesses engaged in recorded music, music publishing, merchandising, and audiovisual content in more than 60 countries. We identify and develop recording artists and songwriters, and we produce, distribute and promote the most critically acclaimed and commercially successful music to delight and entertain fans around the world.
How we LEAD:
Universal Music Group is looking for a Data Scientist to join an innovative strategic project related to playlisting and market trends. This is a contract position, expected to run to the end of 2021, and will be working in a fully remote capacity.
This position will be working across prediction, segmentation, optimization, machine learning, and other areas where data and statistical methods can be applied to measurable advantage. The focus will be on interesting high-value problems that impact frontline labels, A&R, catalog, commercial, streaming strategy, and operations globally.
The ideal candidate should have a strong statistical background, with a very good understanding of common machine learning techniques. While we encourage the team to use the right tools for the job, candidates should at least be proficient in R or Python & SQL at a minimum.
This candidate should also have a demonstrated ability to manage translate business strategy into practical application, collaborate and contribute to the collective vision, communicate research and learnings to a variety of different audience types (from Senior Executives down to fellow Analysts) and work in project teams and in silo to solve interesting problems.
How you’ll CREATE:
- Drive and lead the data strategy for this project, including sourcing data
- Create algorithms and prototypes that can be handed over for productionalisation once the value is proven
- Study user behavior, demographics, content types, and a variety of different music streaming platforms to analyze ways to increase Universal Music’s market share
- Combine data sources with insights to monetize our long-tail catalog
- Work collaboratively with our Data Science teams across the globe
- Research and develop data-driven solutions
- Build/refine/improve new or pre-existing statistical models or processes
- Advise on data-related topics to help guide or inform business decisions
- Preparing data sets for applications such as classification, modeling, and clustering
- Supporting other data related teams to design new KPI’s and models to enhance their tooling
- Occasional analytics dashboard creation
Bring your VIBE:
- 2+ years of work experience in Data Science related role.
- Experience managing and engaging with clients in a consultative or analytical capacity
- Experience working with development teams to productize work
- Experience in data mining tools and algorithms, machine learning, and statistics (e.g. regression, decision trees, neural networks, collaborative filtering, clustering, survival analysis, graph theory, etc.).
- Analytic abilities using SQL, R, and other tools (e.g. Tableau, MicroStrategy, etc.)
- Working knowledge of cloud-based data environments & tools (e.g. AWS, Big Query, Hadoop, etc.)
- Effective communicator at all levels with presentation skills
- Demonstrated ability to establish and maintain cooperative working relationships with business partners and colleagues
- Capable of tackling very loosely defined problems
- Creative, outside the box thinking and problem-solving approach
- High energy and enthusiasm
- Knowledge of music repertoire very useful
- Music technology experience beneficial
- Degree in Computer Science, Economics, Mathematics, Statistics or a similarly quantitative degree
Universal Music Group is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Disclaimer: This job description only provides an overview of job responsibilities that are subject to change.