Main purpose of role
Universal Music Group is looking for a Data Scientist to join our in-house Data Science R&D team, working across prediction, segmentation, price optimization, machine learning, adtech and other areas where data and statistical methods can be applied to measurable advantage. Working on interesting high value problems from teams across the business, including frontline labels, A&R, catalogue, commercial, advertising and marketing. While also working in close collaboration with data architects, analysts and platform development teams to deliver scalable solutions to the business.
The ideal candidate should have a strong statistical background, with a very good understanding of common machine learning techniques. While we encourage the team to use the right tools for the job, candidates should at least be proficient in R or Python & SQL at a minimum.
This candidate should also have a demonstrated ability to manage client requests in a professional manner, communicate research and learnings to a variety of different audience types (from Senior Executives down to fellow Analysts), and work in both project teams and in silo to solve interesting problems in a consultative fashion.
Key Responsibilities will include:
- Research and develop data driven solutions to help solve current and future business problems.
- Build/refine/improve new or pre-existing statistical models or processes.
- Advise on data related topics to help guide or inform business decisions.
- Preparing data sets for applications such as classification, modelling and clustering.
- Developing new data features that can become invaluable pieces of insight.
- Supporting other data related teams to design new KPI’s and models to enhance their tooling.
- Passion and curiosity for music and the data that is used within the industry
- Proficient in at least one of R and Python.
- Ability to query databases (using platforms such as BigQuery) accurately and efficiently using SQL
- Excellent knowledge of using common Python/R statistical packages such as NumPy, SciPy, Statsmodels.
- Working knowledge of machine learning concepts and techniques and their application.
- Knowledge or experience of working with Google Cloud Platforms products like BigQuery, Dataflow, Dataproc, Machine Leaning or similar cloud solutions would be desirable
- Importantly being creative and thinking outside the box in the way we tackle and build solutions.
- 3+ years of work experience in Data Science related roles.
- Experience managing and engaging with clients in a consultative or analytical capacity.
- Experience working with development teams to productize work.
- Experience of managing projects.
- Degree in Computer Science, Economics, Mathematics, Statistics or a similarly quantitative degree
Diversity and inclusion
Universal Music is an equal opportunities employer. We embrace diversity and are committed to a working environment where no one will be treated less favourably on grounds of their sex, race, disability, sexual orientation, religion, belief or age.
The company presents this job description as a guide to the major areas and duties for which the jobholder is accountable. However, the business operates in an environment that demands change and the jobholder's specific responsibilities and activities will vary and develop. Therefore, the job description should be seen as indicative and not as a permanent, definitive and exhaustive statement.