VP, Production & Sourcing Operations
We are UMG, the Universal Music Group. We are the world’s leading music company. In everything we do, we are committed to artistry, innovation, and entrepreneurship. We own and operate a broad array of businesses engaged in recorded music, music publishing, merchandising, and audiovisual content in more than 60 countries. We identify and develop recording artists and songwriters, and we produce, distribute, and promote the most critically acclaimed and commercially successful music to delight and entertain fans around the world.
How we LEAD:
The VP Production & Sourcing Operations will be an essential part of UMG’s team, helping to drive execution of merchandise needs for Retail, E-commerce, Tour and Popup development. This position will work very closely with the local and regional Department heads in support of all commercial channels. The position will also collaborate with the US and EU markets to ensure resources are optimized to support local and regional market demands.
The Production & Sourcing Operations team provides production and purchasing services for concert tours, E-commerce and outside retailers as well as misc. corporate and label promotions. This is a fast paced, high volume position that requires tenured production & sourcing experience for apparel and accessories.
How you’ll CREATE:
- Develop a manufacturing and fulfillment network of partners to support business requirements.
- Implement certification program to ensure global consistency in our product offering and quality.
- Work with global operations and planning teams to implement coordinated global production runs optimizing coverage, speed, and margin.
- Manage Merchandise Production, develop and manage process workflow and systems.
- Develop/source new and existing fabric, trims, washes/dyes vendors for all upcoming development.
- Initiate time, action calendars, and drive activity alongside cross-functional teams to remain on calendar.
- Management of pre-production/development timelines, reviewing reports and recommending solutions to exceptions.
- Work collaboratively with the Creative team to develop a final assortment that is executable in production Develop best practice requirements and process for product creative teams to deliver workable assets to Production Operations.
- Direct product development to ensure cost parameters and aesthetic requirements are achieved and are aligned with global sourcing strategy.
- Monitor all development programs- from sample development through commercialization through PSR reports.
- Negotiate and cost engineer with vendors across multiple programs to help meet P&L requirements.
- Initiate weekly development touch base cross-functional meetings for potential order issues as appropriate.
- Develop and maintain libraries for Fabric and Wash developments.
- Establish testing requirements for all raw materials and garments.
- Source, develop and maintain partner relationships, manage quoting process, vendor negotiations contracts and margin targets.
- Manage all master data set ups
- Ensure project status across all projects is accurately maintained in real time, leveraging systems wherever possible to communicate status to internal stakeholders
- Develop & manage shipping logistics status.
- Partner with internal customers (Commercial, Territories, Product Managers, Art Department, Warehouse, Accounting, and all affiliated UMG contacts) and always remain customer focused.
- Track, research, and report on all KPI’s.
- Stay current on styles, trends, and issues.
- Train internal staff and or partners on systems and processes.
- Manage, develop, and educate team members.
- Perform special projects and other job-related duties as assigned.
- Negotiate with direct partners on critical orders/ production specifications, including delivery and cost
- Ensure adherence to schedules via time and action management, close monitoring of key milestone dates.
- Oversee raw material management, testing, and sampling to mitigate risk and ensure all products meet or exceed product requirements.
- Oversee ordering/ execution and monitor tracking of prototypes and finished goods.
- Manage supplier’s product integrity and order specification compliance including dye lots, wash effect, hand feel and shade bands. Provide risk assessment analysis based on complexity of design.
- Ensure suppliers update and maintain costing sheets as product design changes occur and offer viable cost options to meet and or exceed target P&L.
- Liaise with suppliers to provide technical advice and give direction for problem solving. Manage fabric selection process, confirm fabric and trim are available for prototype development via direct communications with suppliers.
- Develop the sourcing/allocation strategy for each territory and manage fabric reservations to secure deliveries.
- Manage liability of raw material supplies to ensure it can be utilized in product that can be sold and minimize financial exposure. Work with design team to create future designs to utilize the excess raw materials.
- Oversee, maintain, and report cost, delivery, and quality key performance indicators (KPI) for developed goods.
- Attend Concept, Design Review and Selection meetings to understand upcoming styles to work with the appropriate vendors to create the product.
- Supervise, train, and coach team members in research & development, production processes, costing, and contract negotiations.
- Leverage trade tools to stay updated with trends. Foresee new product opportunities. Identify new factories or expand facilities of existing factory base in the growing countries.
- Research and develop feasible fabrics to meet design intent. Research wash and trim capabilities, attend tradeshows to learn new technologies and processes
- Identify what is new in the market and ensure production capabilities evolve and adapt to enables successful execution of new trends
- Elevate and communicate high-risk potential order problems and issues, as appropriate.
- Promote collaboration, communication, and teamwork within the brand between Merchandising, Product Development, Production, Design and Delivery.
- Set up training to improve technical skill set across all functions.
- Ability to travel ~25% of time (international travel to visit factories, mills, etc.)
Bring your VIBE:
- Bachelor’s degree preferred
- 7+ years of experience in apparel and accessories production, Buying and sourcing experience
- Diverse market segment background (men’s, women’s, juniors, and children's wear)
- Strong costing and product engineering skills
- Existing supplier and vendor relationships for apparel and accessories including cut and sew knits, sleepwear, and loungewear
- Detail oriented with strong follow through skills
- Extensive technical knowledge of raw materials, garment constructions, wash, and print processes
- Microsoft Suite and Adobe proficiencies (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Illustrator).
- Ability to work in a demanding, fast-paced environment
- Strong Critical Thinking and Problem-Solving skills
- Excellent verbal and written communicator with the ability to build and maintain relationships
- Flexible and adaptable; priorities change frequently based on business demands, the ability to change direction quickly is critical
- Strong long-term strategic planning capability
- Strong negotiating skills to optimize sales margins
- Experience ingesting requirements and adapting workflows to accommodate those requirements
- Ability to learn implement and operate internal software systems
- Music Merch Production experience a plus
- Must possess seven (7) years of experience managing apparel product development through entire life cycle including: Sourcing, fabric, and finishing materials across multiple substrates.
- Extensive factory manufacturing process experience including production timeline management, fact-based costing, and pricing.
- Managing design, merchandising, sourcing, or technical design
- Team player
- Proven ability to manage and develop teams
- Self-starter, ability to work with little supervision
- Competitive Compensation Package including Salary, Benefits, and Generous 401k Savings Plan
- Paid Time Off – Paid Holidays, “Gift Week”, Summer Fridays
- Student Loan Repayment Assistance
- Employee Developmental Support
- Annual Gym Reimbursement Package
- Pet Insurance, plus much more!
Universal Music Group is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Disclaimer: This job description only provides an overview of job responsibilities that are subject to change.