Rights Hub Manager
We are UMG, the Universal Music Group. We are the world’s leading music company. In everything we do, we are committed to artistry, innovation and entrepreneurship. We own and operate a broad array of businesses engaged in recorded music, music publishing, merchandising, and audiovisual content in more than 60 countries. We identify and develop recording artists and songwriters, and we produce, distribute and promote the most critically acclaimed and commercially successful music to delight and entertain fans around the world.
Interscope Geffen A&M Records (“IGA”) is home to some of the biggest artists in the world including: Billie Eilish, U2, Eminem, Kendrick Lamar, J Cole, Lady Gaga, Olivia Rodrigo and many more. As a leader in the music industry, we are always looking for talented and driven individuals to join our family.
How we LEAD:
The Rights Hub Manager will work daily with Interscope Business Affairs managing data to identify and obtain deals that impact our repertoire (artist, producer, (re)mixer, side artist, and sample agreements). This person will be responsible for capturing the provisions of these agreements in the ‘Rights Hub’ rights management application so that these deals are available for linking to repertoire.
How you’ll CREATE:
- Responsible for capturing agreement provisions (via contracts, deal memos or email etc.) and manage data in the ‘Rights Hub’ rights management application to ensure deals are linked to repertoire.
- Accurately interpret contractual language and to articulate the way the label chooses to operate against various agreements; liaison with Label Business Affairs to manage data, interpret contractual terms, as needed.
- Work with Royalties Business Affairs to ensure royalties provisions are swiftly captured and to manage the communication and relationship between Royalties Business Affairs and Label Business Affairs.
- Facilitate the approval of all rights and royalties provisions captured in the system by the relevant label attorney in a timely fashion.
- Link agreements to all relevant repertoire and contributors (e.g. link producers to the producer agreement(s) that govern their services with respect specific songs.)
- Keep deals up to date as the result of a deal’s negotiation status, contractual amendments, option pick-ups, drop notices, expiration of rights, deal ‘overrides’, etc.
Bring your VIBE:
- Familiarity with recording agreements
- Task-oriented and organized, with the ability to stay on top of multiple initiatives at one time
- Ability to maintain focus and complete detailed contractual analysis on a regular basis
- Outgoing personality and strong communication skills. This is not solely a “data entry” position; this role manages communication of our rights between various departments (Legal, Royalties, A&R, Production, Commercial, etc.)
- Ambition to work toward continual process improvement (faster deal entry times, improving the application and business process, etc.)
- Proficient technical skills (experience and comfortability using web-based applications)
- Comfortable in a rights management role rather than ambitious to immediately move into a deal negotiation role
- Familiarity with business process workflows (following a pre-defined process, understanding how one’s role helps to achieve the overall objective)
- 2+ years’ experience in the music industry
- Competitive Compensation Package including Salary, Benefits and Generous 401k Savings Plan with company matching
- Flexible Paid Time Off plus Paid Holidays, 2 week “Winter Break” & Wellness Fridays (year-round)
- Medical, Dental and Vision Insurance
- Student Loan Repayment Assistance & Tuition Reimbursement (after 12 months of service)
- Robust Employee Assistance Program (for you and your loved ones
- Annual Well-Being Allowance which includes Fitness, Travel, Home Enhancements, Nutrition, and Spa Treatment Reimbursements
Universal Music Group is an Equal Opportunity Employer
All UMG employees are currently required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 or provide proof of a negative PCR or Antigen test before entering any Company offices unless they have been approved for an exemption or unless prohibited by applicable law.
Disclaimer: This job description only provides an overview of job responsibilities that are subject to change.