Manager, Corporate Development
We are UMG, the Universal Music Group. We are the world’s leading music company. In everything we do, we are committed to artistry, innovation, and entrepreneurship. We own and operate a broad array of businesses engaged in recorded music, music publishing, merchandising, and audiovisual content in more than 60 countries. We identify and develop recording artists and songwriters, and we produce, distribute, and promote the most critically acclaimed and commercially successful music to delight and entertain fans around the world.
The Corporate Development and Strategy team is a highly visible team within UMG. The group serves Universal Music Group’s executive leadership, business units/labels and internal stakeholders with projects that span across M&A, strategic planning, artist deals, new business ventures, internal consulting, among others. The team is lean and committed to fostering a workplace culture that is fun, supportive and collaborative.
How we LEAD:
The Corporate Development and Strategy team is looking for a full-time Manager to be based in Santa Monica, CA. The Manager will analyze artist/business deals, lead strategic projects, evaluate M&A opportunities, monitor competitor & market trends, and assist in financial planning. The Manager will have the opportunity to apply strategic and critical thinking in driving growth and profitability across the company’s diverse portfolio of businesses, including recorded music, publishing, merch, D2C, artist services, digital, tech, marketing, etc. The successful candidate is an analytical, proactive, and intellectually curious individual who can identify opportunities/risks, structure analyses, develop solutions and articulate findings. The Manager will report to the VP of Corporate Development and Strategy and will work closely with other team members.
How you’ll CREATE:
- Oversee financial/analytical modeling using valuation techniques, detailed due diligence, and strategic evaluations for potential M&A candidates, artist deals, joint venture partners and business development growth initiatives
- Lead internal strategic analyses by working with department leaders across the company to determine growth initiatives, revenue drivers and cost/investment need
- Proactively ideate potential opportunities, identify strategic implications, and drive forward related analyses
- Perform industry and competitive due diligence including market trends and competitive analysis
- Author and communicate succinct presentations for senior management and other UMG leaders
- Recommend best practices for improving current processes to facilitate better decision making, team communication, and time savings
Bring your VIBE:
- 5+ years of relevant work experience in finance, consulting/strategy, M&A, or similar field
- Strong financial modeling experience building operational models, valuations, new ventures, etc. including use of Excel, Word and PowerPoint (Experience with HFM/SAP a plus)
- Proven ability to analyze and communicate complex analyses and key findings for executives
- High level of intellectual curiosity, especially around music, technology, and entertainment
- Able to think critically and make problem solving decisions
- Ability to take ownership of and drive forward projects independently
- Able to meet deadlines in a fast-paced environment and handle multiple assignments
- Experience analyzing and performing due diligence on large and varied data sets
- Highly personable with strong team-working skills
- Prior relevant experience in the music industry preferred
- Experience training and managing junior members preferred
- Competitive Compensation Package including Salary, Benefits and Generous 401k Savings Plan with company matching
- Flexible Paid Time Off, plus Paid Holidays, 2 week “Winter Break” & Wellness Fridays (year-round)
- Medical, Dental and Vision Insurance
- Student Loan Repayment Assistance & Tuition Reimbursement (after 12 months of service)
- Robust Employee Assistance Program (for you and your loved ones
- Annual Well-Being Allowance which includes Fitness, Travel, Home Enhancements, Nutrition, and Spa Treatment Reimbursements
Universal Music Group is an Equal Opportunity Employer
All UMG employees are currently required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 or provide proof of a negative PCR or Antigen test before entering any Company offices unless they have been approved for an exemption or unless prohibited by applicable law.
Disclaimer: This job description only provides an overview of job responsibilities that are subject to change.