JOB OPPORTUNITY – MANAGER, DATA ANALYTICS & BUSINESS INTELLIGENCE (12 MONTH CONTRACT)
Closing Date: February 29, 2020
Universal Music Canada is Canada’s leading music company, engaged in recorded music, music publishing, merchandising, and audiovisual content. Home to the most comprehensive catalogue of recordings and songs across every musical genre, UMC is committed to artistry, innovation and entrepreneurship in broadening opportunities for our artists on both the domestic and world stages as well as creating new experiences for fans.
Universal Music Canada is part of Universal Music Group, the world leader in music-based entertainment.
We are searching for creative, innovative and passionate people to join our team. If you love music and got excited just thinking about joining this amazing organization, we would love to meet you!
Reporting to the Vice President of Digital Strategy, the Manager, Data Analytics & Business Intelligence will collaborate with stakeholders to understand business needs and create reports and custom analyses to support business goals. The ideal candidate will possess a passion for music and strong business judgment, ethic and communication skills.
- Understand business needs and create reports/custom analyses to support business goals
- Become an expert in our extensive data lake and understand how it could serve end users
- Drive projects from start to finish, define and extract the data needed, conduct needs analysis, and come up with conclusive answers and strategic recommendations
- Analyze large data sets to identify underlying patterns and structures, identifying areas of opportunity
- Build and schedule queries to establish the datasets necessary to build reports and perform ad-hoc analyses
- Design and develop dashboard automation processes to ensure reports are kept up to date
- Develop and provide documentation, training, and support for users at different levels
- Provide plans and estimates for reporting initiatives
- Maintain standards for analysis and reporting, including best practice data visualization techniques
- Facilitate group meetings for solution design, decision making, problem-solving and solution implementation
- Understand and communicate the implications of the changes in the music landscape in the data analysis interpretation
- Collaborate with fellow analysts across UMG’s record labels to drive forward best practices in data querying and analysis methodologies
- Represent the Data & Analytics team in companywide meetings
- Other duties as assigned
- 3+ years of professional and proven experience in data, analytics and/or reporting focused roles
- Post-secondary degree or diploma in a relatable field (i.e. Computer Science, Mathematics, Business, Economics, Information Systems)
- 1+ years experience with Tableau, DOMO, Google Data Studio or any other BI platform
- Strong database analytics and data extraction (SQL) skills are essential, ideally gained in a large data warehouse environment. Ability to write well structured, performance SQL using advanced SQL techniques (e.g. Window Functions where appropriate)
- Experience with column storage databases in general, and particularly Google BigQuery, would be an advantage. An understanding of performance tuning is desirable
- Statistical modeling (R/Python), scripting/ segmentation building would be beneficial
- Experience in creating decks and presentations to deliver your findings is beneficial
- Interest in the music and the entertainment space
- Great communication skills (as this will also be a user facing role)
- Ability to multitask and prioritize
Please apply before February 29, 2020
Universal Music Group is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Universal Music Canada welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.