Manager, North America Copyright
Universal Music Publishing Group (UMPG) is the leading global music publisher with more than 57 offices in 47 countries. UMPG has some of the most important contemporary songwriters and artists on its global roster. UMPG is also the leading production music group in the world with a diverse and comprehensive portfolio of UPPM-owned repertoire. UPPM is the preeminent supplier of high-level production music throughout the world and serves the burgeoning business that creates, produces, and licenses music for use in film/TV, advertising, broadcast, and corporate clients.
How we LEAD:
UMPG is looking for a highly motivated person, experienced in Music Publishing, to work as part of the North American Copyright team serving our renowned client roster and iconic catalog. Copyright is centrally located within the administration team and this role will be specifically responsible for managing client questions and organizing action items among team members to respond to clients’ needs. This position will work alongside team members within copyright, royalties, income tracking, licensing, client services, business affairs and global administration. Strong problem solving, critical thinking, exceptional communication skills and personal initiative are required in this role to provide best-in-class customer service.
How you’ll CREATE:
This position reports into the North American Copyright Director and will perform various project-based tasks.
Key Responsibilities of this position include:
- Organize incoming e-mails and create a plan to handle requests in a timely manner while maintaining communication with all relevant parties
- Respond to questions from clients, utilizing information and assistance from team members, or connecting them with other departments as appropriate; anticipating needs and questions to provide comprehensive service
- Determine and coordinate action items across multiple teams to provide results and answers for clients
- Identify trouble spots in registrations at ASCAP, BMI, SESAC, GMR, SOCAN, HFA, or the MLC that could impact payments
- Request information from clients as needed to effectively set up accountings
- Research and analyze documentation to aid in the resolution of disputes, or other issues, to prompt any potentially necessary updates within UMPG systems
- Trouble-shoot royalty calculations to ensure clients are paid accurately
- Explain basic publishing practices and standards to inform clients of how they will be compensated and represented
- Serve clients through the onboarding process into various UMPG systems
- Other projects and responsibilities as needed in response to changing business requirements
Bring your VIBE:
- 3-5 years’ experience in the music publishing industry
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills, with the ability to articulate, convey and explain complex information to a wide variety of audiences
- Accuracy with attention to detail and an understanding of how changes impact other teams
- Propose and implement solutions in response to day-to-day challenges within the role
- Experience with basic legal terminology as it relates to contracts and copyright
- Familiarity with financial tasks and analysis, including royalty calculations
- Self-starter with the ability to plug themselves in to any project as needed
- Solid Microsoft Office skills, particularly data management and comparison in Excel
- Follows through on open issues though to resolution, meets deadlines in an efficient and effective way
- Able to learn multiple, customized systems
- Responds appropriately to direction regarding deadlines, deliverables, key performance indicators and service levels
- Music lovers who are passionate about serving songwriters and rights holders and protecting their intellectual property
- A collaborative team member able to work with the Copyright Director, Managers, Team Leads, and colleagues in the North American, and Global Administration Teams
- Open-minded, flexible, and positive people
- Goal oriented individuals who work towards team/department/company objectives and takes pride in achieving targets and serving internal and external customers
- Organized, detail-oriented people who can set priorities and plan workload efficiently so that client needs are met consistently
- Friendly and personable individuals who have a strong customer service mindset
- Someone who will consult with the Director where appropriate to recommend solutions, solve problems, create efficiencies, and complete tasks and projects in a timely manner
- Competitive Compensation Package including Salary, Benefits and Generous 401k Savings Plan
- Paid Time Off – Paid Holidays, “Gift Week”, Summer Fridays
- Student Loan Repayment Assistance
- Employee Developmental Support
- Annual Gym Reimbursement Package
- Pet Insurance, plus much more!
Universal Music Group is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Disclaimer: This job description only provides an overview of job responsibilities that are subject to change.
We are an E-Verify employer.
For more information, please click on the following links.
E-Verify Participation Poster: English / Spanish