AV Rights Manager, Mercury Studios
We are UMG, the Universal Music Group. We are the world’s leading music company. In everything we do, we are committed to artistry, innovation, and entrepreneurship. We own and operate a broad array of businesses engaged in recorded music, music publishing, merchandising, and audiovisual content in more than 60 countries. We identify and develop recording artists and songwriters, and we produce, distribute, and promote the most critically acclaimed and commercially successful music to delight and entertain fans around the world.
How we LEAD:
This role brings the excitement and dynamic force of the music industry to the screen: merging a world leader in music with the ever-changing world of video content consumption.
The AV Rights Manager assists and supports a global mission that will revolutionize Universal Music Group and their position as world leaders, in not just audio and music content, but in longform audio visual content as well. The role is a key position in qualifying the rights the Group hold to their catalogue, assessing, monitoring, negotiating, and documenting the rights to the work of hundreds of major artists.
Mercury Studios are the film and TV experts within UMG, an in-house distribution unit representing an impressive and high value audio-visual catalogue. Our current focus is to onboard 2,500 additional titles from the record labels under the UMG umbrella, bringing unique concerts, documentaries, classic world tours and behind the scenes footage into a single pipeline of global exploitation. You will be key in assisting the Longform Project – analyzing and researching legal agreements pertaining to artists and audio-visual assets in order to catalogue the rights held on a wealth of content and negotiating and documenting additional rights as needed to fully exploit the content. With your input, it will be become one of the largest music-focused longform libraries in the world.
How you’ll CREATE:
- Across multiple genres of music, artists, and unique pieces of content, you will:
- Perform legal and contractual research:
- Assist the Longform Team in the rights search on the titles held with each label, reviewing the original contracts and supplementary agreements per title/artist to capture the present status of each audio-visual title
- Diagnose and accurately record the rights held within UMG – broadcast/distribution rights, term dates and royalty fees etc.
- Be able to manage your workload and findings effectively across a highly varied portfolio of titles, information sources and findings
- Summarize contracts: Report findings to the team at Mercury Studios and liaise with each label to summarize the breadth of the distribution opportunity on offer
- Review/create the short-form distribution agreement that will summarize the findings – the rights held and exploitation potential
- Track contract and deal progress and maintain status tracker: Oversee the administration of the transfer of rights to Mercury Studios, supporting BA on both sides as necessary
- Observe and assist with contracting any extension of those rights where necessary; liaising with the Label, Mercury Studios and the Artist/Management and each BA team as applicable in each case
- Assist in securing mechanical and synchronization licenses for UMGN releases: observe and recommend clearance/publishing needs where needed, supporting the Mercury Studios Clearance Team.
- As the titles are being onboarded, review artwork, audio visual content and release data for legal issues and accuracy
- Other relevant requirements as may be realized during the project
Bring your VIBE:
- Formal legal qualification desired, but not required
- Proficient in Word, Excel, Outlook, Content Manager, Internet, Phones, Document Management Systems
- Excellent communication skills
- Driven – a strong work ethic with a high level of motivation
- Very organized and detail oriented
- Able to proficiently multi-task and balance the varied elements of your project
- Able to communicate with the UK team as the time difference reasonably dictates
- At least 5 years of relevant experience
- Comfort and familiarity with recording contract terms and publishing/clearance framework
- Adept at analyzing TV/Broadcast rights language and broadcasting terms
- Associate degree with significant experience, or 4-year college degree
- Regularly required to sit
- Occasionally required to stand and walk
- Requires motor skills to operate a keyboard and basic office equipment
- Ability to communicate over the phone and in person
- Occasionally required to lift to 25lbs
- Competitive Compensation Package including Salary, Benefits and Generous 401k Savings Plan with company matching
- Flexible Paid Time Off plus Paid Holidays, 2 week “Winter Break” & Wellness Fridays (year-round)
- Medical, Dental and Vision Insurance
- Student Loan Repayment Assistance & Tuition Reimbursement (after 12 months of service)
- Robust Employee Assistance Program (for you and your loved ones
- Annual Well-Being Allowance which includes Fitness, Travel, Home Enhancements, Nutrition, and Spa Treatment Reimbursements
Universal Music Group is an Equal Opportunity Employer
All UMG employees are currently required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 or provide proof of a negative PCR or Antigen test before entering any Company offices unless they have been approved for an exemption or unless prohibited by applicable law.
Disclaimer: This job description only provides an overview of job responsibilities that are subject to change.