Director, eCommerce Creative – Def Jam
We are UMG, the Universal Music Group. We are the world’s leading music company. In everything we do, we are committed to artistry, innovation, and entrepreneurship. We own and operate a broad array of businesses engaged in recorded music, music publishing, merchandising, and audiovisual content in more than 60 countries. We identify and develop recording artists and songwriters, and we produce, distribute, and promote the most critically acclaimed and commercially successful music to delight and entertain fans around the world.
How we LEAD:
Merchandise and commerce are becoming part of the fabric of music culture. For artists, it’s a way to develop and further articulate their brand. For fans, it’s another pathway to connecting with an artist and the culture they represent.
UMG is looking for a Director, eCommerce Creative to join our eCommerce group, sitting on a cross-functional team dedicated to supporting Def Jam Records. This person will guide and oversee the eCommerce product strategy, development, and design, as well as site experience and content production (photo, video, and digital marketing assets) to create compelling fan experiences on behalf of some of the biggest artists in the world. They will work in close partnership with creative stakeholders across the label, artist, and eCommerce teams to bring all the necessary creative to life for each campaign.
How you’ll CREATE:
- Lead creative strategy and planning to drive artist and Rights Owner eCommerce goals.
- Develop rich storytelling through product strategy, development and design that will serve as the cornerstone for further campaign creative.
- Act as creative lead across product launches and accompanying eCommerce activations, ensuring the artist’s narrative is fully represented throughout the end-to-end customer experience.
- Communicate directly with the labels and artist teams alongside cross-functional team members to sell through product strategies.
- Work collaboratively and cross-functionally across eCommerce, label groups, and the wider UMG organization.
- Work closely with label creative and other creative resources—artist team members, freelance designers, merchandise companies, etc.—to bring artist brand and campaign narratives to life across product, site experience, and content.
- Work with the eCommerce Experience and Site Merchandising team to leverage historic and audience data to inform creative strategy and output.
- Work hand in hand with teammates across Artist Engagement, eCommerce Experience and Site Merchandising, Store Management, Operations & Customer Service to collectively deliver a great customer experience to our fans and UMG artists.
Bring your VIBE:
- 5-7 years experience managing creative and/or eCommerce campaigns from ideation to execution, preferably in music or fashion/retail.
- Established track record of selling through creative concepts and strategies to clients.
- Natural collaborator. Must be willing to set ego aside in order to deliver for our customers (both fans and artists).
- Exceptional verbal and written abilities — communication and presentation skills are essential (both internally and externally).
- Working knowledge of product sourcing and production.
- Deep understanding of what goes into our work and this role, including:
- Music fandom and the fan to artist connection.
- Brand differentiation across artists and music genres.
- The hip hop & R&B music space and the trends that appeal to that audience.
- eCommerce, specifically trends and best practices as they apply to the fan to artist relationship.
- Creative approach to problem solving.
- Comfortable juggling multiple high priority projects simultaneously with strong attention to detail.
- Ability to stay flexible, calm and collected under pressure, and to be accountable for meeting deadlines amidst changing client needs.
- Self-starter attitude, capable of owning important responsibilities from inception to completion.
- Strong critical thinking skills and an ability to make decisions informed by data.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office (particularly PowerPoint) and Mac OS required.
- Photoshop and InDesign experience is a plus.
- Bachelor’s degree in music business, fashion/retail, marketing, creative, or a related field.
- Competitive Compensation Package including Salary, Benefits and Generous 401k Savings Plan with company matching
- Flexible Paid Time Off plus Paid Holidays, 2 week “Winter Break” & Wellness Fridays (year-round)
- Medical, Dental and Vision Insurance
- Student Loan Repayment Assistance & Tuition Reimbursement (after 12 months of service)
- Robust Employee Assistance Program (for you and your loved ones
- Annual Well-Being Allowance which includes Fitness, Travel, Home Enhancements, Nutrition, and Spa Treatment Reimbursements
Universal Music Group is an Equal Opportunity Employer
All UMG employees are currently required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 or provide proof of a negative PCR or Antigen test before entering any Company offices unless they have been approved for an exemption or unless prohibited by applicable law.
Disclaimer: This job description only provides an overview of job responsibilities that are subject to change.