Financial Analyst (Corporate Strategy)
We are UMG, the Universal Music Group. We are the world’s leading music company. In everything we do, we are committed to artistry, innovation, and entrepreneurship. We own and operate a broad array of businesses engaged in recorded music, music publishing, merchandising, and audiovisual content in more than 60 countries. We identify and develop recording artists and songwriters, and we produce, distribute, and promote the most critically acclaimed and commercially successful music to delight and entertain fans around the world.
How we LEAD:
The Corporate Development and Strategy team is a highly visible team within UMG. The group serves Universal Music Group’s executive leadership, business units/labels and internal stakeholders with projects that span across strategic planning, new business ventures, internal consulting, M&A, artist deals, among others. The team is lean and committed to fostering a workplace culture that is fun, supportive, and collaborative.
The Corporate Development and Strategy team is looking for a full-time Analyst to be based in Santa Monica, CA. This position will have exposure to all projects, with focus on pushing forward the team’s Corporate Strategy efforts and initiatives. The Analyst will participate in a broad range of strategic topics such as core, new business, cross-functional initiatives, strategic and prospective planning, business reviews, market trends and competitive analysis. The Analyst will have the opportunity to apply strategic and critical thinking in driving growth and profitability across the company’s diverse portfolio of businesses, including recorded music, publishing, merch, D2C, artist services, digital, tech, marketing, etc. The successful candidate is an analytical and intellectually curious individual who can identify issues, structure analyses, develop solutions and articulate findings. The Analyst will report to the Director of Corporate Development and Strategy and will work closely with other team members.
How you’ll CREATE:
- Conduct internal strategic projects aimed at understanding the evolution and growth areas of the music industry, analyzing Universal Music’s positioning and core competencies
- Perform industry and competitive due diligence including market trends and competitive analysis
- Build analyses to drive Universal Music’s strategic planning process
- Author compelling and succinct presentation and discussion materials for senior management
- Lead special projects as assigned in connection with the team goals and strategy
- Recommend best practices for improving current processes in place to facilitate team communication and decisions
Bring your VIBE:
- Able take ownership of and drive forward projects independently
- Able to think critically and make problem solving decisions
- Possess excellent oral and written communication skills
- Able to meet deadlines in a fast-paced environment and handle multiple assignments
- Highly personable with strong team-working skills
- Knowledge of financial modelling preferred
- High level of intellectual curiosity, especially around technology and the music/entertainment industry
- Relevant professional experience in strategy, consulting or similar field desired (1-2 years)
- Previous relevant experience in the music or entertainment industry a plus
- Bachelor’s degree preferably in business, economics or another related field
- Competitive Compensation Package including Salary, Benefits and Generous 401k Savings Plan
- Paid Time Off – Paid Holidays, “Gift Week”, Summer Fridays
- Student Loan Repayment Assistance
- Employee Developmental Support
- Annual Gym Reimbursement Package
- Pet Insurance, plus much more!
Universal Music Group is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Disclaimer: This job description only provides an overview of job responsibilities that are subject to change.