Director, eCommerce & Label Services (Island Records)
We are UMG, the Universal Music Group. We are the world’s leading music company. In everything we do, we are committed to artistry, innovation, and entrepreneurship. We own and operate a broad array of businesses engaged in recorded music, music publishing, merchandising, and audiovisual content in more than 60 countries. We identify and develop recording artists and songwriters, and we produce, distribute, and promote the most critically acclaimed and commercially successful music to delight and entertain fans around the world.
How we LEAD:
Merchandise and commerce are becoming part of the fabric of music culture. For artists, it’s a way to develop and further articulate their brand. For fans, it’s another pathway to connecting with an artist and the culture they represent.
UMG eCommerce and Island Records are seeking a driven individual to join our teams as a Director, eCommerce & Label Services. This person will sit within the UMG eCommerce & Label Services group, but will be deeply embedded into Island Records’ operations and co-located in the label’s NYC office. Leading a cross-functional team of experts across key eCommerce functions, you will drive eCommerce planning & release management across Island’s roster, collaborating closely with the label, merchandise rights owners (ROs), and key groups across UMG to deliver exceptional D2C experiences for Island, their artists, and—most importantly—their fans.
How you’ll CREATE:
- Represent eCommerce within the label & artist community
- Lead all eCommerce & Label Services team engagement with Island Records, cultivating strong trust and working relationships across key label partners, including senior leadership.
- Act as Island’s eCommerce lead, engaging directly with artist teams to drive programs forward and to sell through global eCommerce strategies and plans.
- Work closely with label stakeholders, merch RO brand managers, and creative lead(s) to ensure ongoing store activity is aligned into broader artist development and revenue goals, both on and off-cycle.
- Develop and educate label stakeholders and artist teams on best practices for eCommerce programs.
- Drive label engagement and implementation of core UMG eCommerce initiatives.
- Create program case studies to engage label stakeholders and artist teams around eCommerce services offerings.
- Drive eCommerce campaign planning & execution
- Lead store planning, release, and program management across Island Records’ eCommerce rights, working in close collaboration with merchandise rights owners (ROs) to integrate eCommerce into always-on artist planning.
- Ensure all eCommerce programs are optimized to support growth against Island Records and UMG eCommerce KPIs including revenue, rights activation, product workability, traffic & marketing, customer experience, and global sales.
- Work across Island, eCommerce, merch ROs, international, and other center teams to facilitate collaboration between appropriate stakeholders across programs, ensuring teams are briefed and integrated appropriately from planning through to execution and fulfillment.
- Lead a cross functional team to deliver against label & eCommerce KPIs
- Lead an eCommerce team supporting Island, fostering a positive, collaborative, and trusting environment of mutual respect and support across functions (label & artist engagement, creative, customer experience, store management, operations, production, etc.).
- Report back to label and UMG eCommerce leadership on store, campaign, and label-level performance, in addition to ongoing activity & status reporting.
- Liaise with label and UMG Finance across eCommerce programs, including managing campaign P&Ls.
- Ensure eCommerce program compliance with UMG and eCommerce policies.
- Directly manage the eCommerce Coordinator, fostering their professional development while ensuring they successfully execute responsibilities of their role.
Bring your VIBE:
- 7-10+ years of relevant career experience working in eCommerce/D2C or related field
- Strong track record of working directly with artists and/or label teams; demonstrated ability to build trust with artist teams.
- Expert understanding of eCommerce, specifically trends/best practices across music and artist merchandise and consumer behavior
- Natural ability to collaborate and serve the needs of labels and artists. Must be willing to set ego aside in order to deliver for our partners and their customers.
- Must be available to work nights and weekends, especially during priority releases, including regular midnight launches timed with music releases.
- High level of responsiveness and comfort-level communicating with clients and partners via text, phone, email, chat, etc.
- Established track record of effectively communicating and selling through strategies and campaign plans.
- Strong understanding of product P&L’s to ensure profitability and margin
- Familiarity with physical music and merchandise production is strongly preferred.
- Deep understanding of the fan and customer experience
- Creative approach to problem solving.
- Extremely organized and comfortable streamlining many moving parts. Comfortable juggling multiple high priority projects simultaneously.
- Strong attention to detail; must be extremely detail-oriented.
- Ability to stay calm and collected under pressure, multi-task and to be accountable for meeting deadlines.
- Flexible and able to adapt to changing client needs in a fast-paced environment.
- Strong critical thinking skills and an ability to make informed decisions based on data.
- Strong passion for the music industry.
- Experience with Shopify strongly preferred
- Experience with Monday.com is a plus.
- Familiar with Billboard rules a plus.
- Understanding of Analytics (Google, Shopify, Domo) strongly preferred
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office (particularly PowerPoint, Excel) and Mac OS.
- Bachelor’s degree in music business, fashion/retail, marketing, creative, or a related field.
- Competitive Compensation Package including Salary, Benefits and Generous 401k Savings Plan with company matching
- Flexible Paid Time Off plus Paid Holidays, 2 week “Winter Break” & Wellness Fridays (year-round)
- Medical, Dental and Vision Insurance
- Student Loan Repayment Assistance & Tuition Reimbursement (after 12 months of service)
- Robust Employee Assistance Program (for you and your loved ones)
- Annual Well-Being Allowance which includes Fitness, Travel, Home Enhancements, Nutrition, and Spa Treatment Reimbursements
Universal Music Group is an Equal Opportunity Employer
All UMG employees are currently required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 or provide proof of a negative PCR or Antigen test before entering any Company offices unless they have been approved for an exemption or unless prohibited by applicable law.
Disclaimer: This job description only provides an overview of job responsibilities that are subject to change.