Director, Digital Business Development, Global
Music is Universal
It’s the passionate and dedicated team at Universal Music who help make us the world’s leading music company. From A&R to finance, legal to digital, sales to marketing, Universal Music is the place to grow and develop your career within a truly commercial and innovative business that leads in everything it does.
Everyone is welcome to apply for our roles, and we are determined to ensure that no applicant or employee receives less favourable treatment because of gender, race, disability, sexual orientation, religion, belief, age, marital status, background, pregnancy or caring responsibilities. We also recognise the importance of diversity of thought within our teams and are fully committed to embracing the talents of people with autism, dyslexia, ADHD and other forms of neurocognitive variation.
We will always seek to make appropriate adjustments to recruitment, workplaces, and work processes to be fully inclusive to people with different needs and working styles. If you need us to make any reasonable adjustments for you from application onwards, including alternatives to the online form or to disclose a neurocognitive condition, please email [email protected]
The A Side: A Day in The Life
Based in the heart of London’s vibrant King’s Cross area, the successful candidate will become a member of our UK-based arm of the Group Digital Business and Strategy team, alongside department colleagues in Los Angeles and Beijing. The wider team is responsible for managing the commercial relationships with our biggest international partners, forging new licensing relationships with the biggest digital platforms and services, and nurturing the opportunity for music use in the latest entrants into the online space.
Developing relationships within our industry leading team will involve frequent group Zoom meetings to brief and debrief on assignments; one-on-one calls and video calls to maximise knowledge sharing and engrain strategic alignment. As international travel opens back up, travel within Europe and to the US will be necessary.
You will spend time understanding the requirements and challenges of third party businesses, to find opportunities for further collaboration and revenue growth, always serving the interests of our artist roster and catalogue. The role will mix face to face deal making with ‘behind the scenes’ analysis, studying of market research trends, commercial modelling, internal meetings and presentations across multiple departments and UMG territory operating companies.
You will need to manage a wide range of conversations at various stages of progression, with a critical ability to prioritise to the Group’s interest, and to pull in internal collaborators for input and buy-in along the way. A clear thought process and ability to ‘sell in’ your rationale will be key.
The B Side: Skills & Experience
- Maintain excellent and on-going relationships with existing partners, with an emphasis on regular communication
- Support local and regional offices on digital strategy and deal-making
- Work closely with all other internal departments, including the wider business development and commercial teams, business affairs, finance, technology, marketing, new business, account management, finance at all stages of the deal process
- Review and oversight of all international deal making to ensure adherence to deal diligence and internal precedents. Alongside strong communication so that UMG’s central digital strategy is understood and embedded in all corners of the organisation, whilst also handling feedback and understanding the local requirements, nuances and sensitives to ensure high efficiency collaboration
- Identify analysis requirements for the business at a partner, business or market level, and work closely with analysis & research teams to brief, communicate and act on results
- Keep up to date with global online trends/competitors and use to maximise opportunity presented by technological innovation and changing online behaviour
- Manage multiple global repertoire licensing deals for UMG, leading negotiations, structuring key partnership terms, and executing agreements.
- Support senior members of the team in US and UK, providing partner and marketplace financial analyst and modelling for both internal reviews & planning, and as a foundation of external negotiations
- Use local and international market knowledge, research material, third party consulting, and internal research and insight to assess and prioritise new partnership and revenue opportunities. And to create and develop new models to enable commercial participation for music in multiple digital environments
- Work closely with existing partners and internal commercial departments to ensure revenue potential is fully realised, making recommendations for service development and revenue growth
- Source new partnership opportunities, engaging with the market on a solutions driven approach to the commercial exploitation of UMG’s catalogue
- Experience working in a similar Commercial or Business Development role within the digital content/entertainment business
- Solid experience negotiating contracts with external business partners and communicating complicated deal rationale to internal stakeholders
- Expert understanding of music rights landscape required, covering an in-depth knowledge around recorded music rights, and a robust understanding of publishing rights, applications and implications
- Strong analytical and numeracy skills to comfortably manage deal modelling and forecasting using partner financial information and market data
- Excellent project management skills with the ability to handle multiple time sensitive projects and meet deadlines
- Digital native with expert knowledge of the consumer technology including devices, services, platforms and insightful understanding of current business issues
- Exceptional presentation, communication and organisational skills
- Ability to influence and build relationships across a large and complex organisation
- Quick learner, hard working and adaptable in a fast paced team environment
Bonus Tracks: Your Benefits
- Group Personal Pension Scheme (between 3% and 9%)
- Private Medical Insurance
- 25 paid days of annual leave
- Interest Free Season Ticket Loan
- Holiday Purchase scheme
- Dental and Travel Insurance options
- Cycle to Work Scheme
- Salary Sacrifice Cars
- Subsidised Gym Membership
- Employee Discounts (Reward Gateway)
Just So You Know…
The company presents this job description as a guide to the major areas and duties for which the jobholder is accountable. However, the business operates in an environment that demands change and the jobholder's specific responsibilities and activities will vary and develop. Therefore, the job description should be seen as indicative and not as a permanent, definitive and exhaustive statement.