Vice President, Business & Legal Affairs
We are UMG, the Universal Music Group. We are the world’s leading music company. In everything we do, we are committed to artistry, innovation and entrepreneurship. We own and operate a broad array of businesses engaged in recorded music, music publishing, merchandising, and audio-visual content in more than 60 countries. We identify and develop recording artists and songwriters, and we produce, distribute and promote the most critically acclaimed and commercially successful music to delight and entertain fans around the world.
Ingrooves is a leading global music marketing and distribution company. We provide labels and artists with a global team of experts and a powerful technology framework, giving them transparent distribution tools and marketing solutions to maximize revenue in today’s dynamic music marketplace. By embracing data science and continually updating its offerings, Ingrooves is redefining the modern music company.
How we LEAD:
We are currently looking for a Vice President, Business and Legal Affairs to support our legal team, who will report to the SVP of the Business and Legal Affairs.
How you’ll CREATE:
- Structure, draft and negotiate proposals and structure, draft and negotiate various music-related agreements (initial, intermediate and final versions) including, but not limited to, distribution agreements, amendments to various agreements, joint venture agreements, publishing agreements, and license agreements including synchronization and master use license agreements in connection with the use of masters and compositions in audiovisual works (e.g. motion pictures, television programs, video games, etc.))
- Provide advice and coordinate strategy on general corporate transactions and commercial agreements
- Review and analyze profit & loss and royalty statements
- Analyze, draft and negotiate audit settlement agreements
- Working with the financial department to prepare profit & loss and sales analysis
- Provide counsel to internal Ingrooves and UMG departments and senior management on day-to-day business and legal issues and strategy.
- Advise various Ingrooves departments (e.g., Ingrooves Business Development and Ingrooves Finance Department), regarding contractual obligations and restrictions in various Ingrooves commercial agreements.
- Address concerns and propose solutions while balancing legal considerations with business objectives.
- Analyze and assess potential risks and propose recommended courses of action.
- Respond to requests for information and/or advice from other business units, including contract research and analysis.
- Obtain all necessary management approvals on key terms of agreements.
- Coordinate with other UMG legal departments (digital, litigation, etc.) on agreements and legal matters.
- Assist management in determining and enforcing company policy regarding legal issues.
- Ensure dissemination of critical legal information to company employees.
- Oversee corporate compliance with contractual and legal obligations.
Bring your VIBE:
- Intellectual property, copyright expertise and music industry experience highly preferred.
- Familiarity with new technology and digital music environment preferred.
- Ability to analyze and provide strategic advice on a wide range of legal issues.
- A keen interest in music and the music industry.
- Knowledge/experience with music industry royalty accounting or financial information highly preferred.
- Strong organizational skills and ability to prioritize multiple projects required.
- Qualified candidate with 8+ years music industry experience.
- J.D. and member of the California Bar or qualified to register as an in-house attorney in California.
- Strong legal background in the areas of the law applicable to the music business (distribution agreements; sync/licensing, publishing, copyright, artist contracts, trademark, licensing, etc.)
- Excellent negotiating, drafting, and communication skills
- General problem-solving skills, organization, and a focus on detail
- Strong interpersonal skills - able to communicate with all levels of management
- Self-starter with ability to multi-task and thrive in a fast-paced environment
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office
- Competitive Compensation Package including Salary, Benefits and Generous 401k Savings Plan
- Paid Time Off – Paid Holidays, “Gift Week”, Summer Fridays
- Student Loan Repayment Assistance
- Employee Developmental Support
- Annual Gym Reimbursement Package
- Pet Insurance, plus much more!
Universal Music Group is an Equal Opportunity Employer.