Job title: A&R Intern
Responsible to: A&R Manager, Universal Music Catalogue
Department: Universal Music Catalogue
Location of work: 4 Pancras Square, Kings Cross
Music is Universal
It’s the passionate and dedicated team at Universal Music UK who help make us Britain’s leading music company. From A&R to finance, legal to digital, sales to marketing, Universal Music is the place to grow and develop your career within a truly commercial and innovative business that leads in everything it does.
Everyone is welcome to apply for our roles, and we are determined to ensure that no applicant or employee receives less favourable treatment because of gender, race, disability, sexual orientation, religion, belief, age, marital status, background, pregnancy or caring responsibilities. We also recognise the importance of diversity of thought within our teams and are fully committed to embracing the talents of people with autism, dyslexia, ADHD and other forms of neurocognitive variation.
We will always seek to make appropriate adjustments to recruitment, workplaces, and work processes to be fully inclusive to people with different needs and working styles. If you need us to make any reasonable adjustments for you from application onwards, including alternatives to the online form or to disclose a neurocognitive condition, please email [email protected]
The A Side: A Day in The Life
UMC is the label responsible for Universal Music Group’s world class catalogue of recordings. Our purpose is to actively drive the continued cultural impact of our songs and artists.
Steeped in music culture and with a deep respect for artistry, our dynamic label is as exciting and creative as our artists – with teams working across audience development; creative; commercial; marketing; A&R and more. Working with our internal and external partners we develop innovative strategies to grow audiences across multiple entry points and platforms.
With any recording over three years falling within our remit, our repertoire covers a vast variety of artists – from iconic legends like The Beatles, Bob Marley, Elton John to modern classics like Amy Winehouse, Massive Attack, Spice Girls and the catalogues of current stars like The 1975, Jamie T and many more; plus the soundtracks of Disney.
We exist to elevate our exceptional repertoire by mining this rich diversity of our catalogue - both shallow and deep.
The B Side: Skills & Experience
The Universal Music Catalogue A&R team is responsible for all of Universal Music Catalogue music output from vinyl box sets to streaming playlists. The team provide creative output, relationship management and product development that supports a best in class release schedule and content plan.
This role will be integral to supporting the A&R team across all of these areas and will include assistance in the product creation process, research and administrative support.
- Schedule and coordinate key department meetings that are fundamental to the sharing of information between the A&R team and other UMC departments
- Liaise with the archive team for audio and audio-visual asset reports
- Help to research and implement new and emerging digital initiatives
- Liaise with licensing and legal team to monitor progress of releases
- Assist in researching new ideas, projects and asset availability
- Attend scheduling meetings and assist with updates between the A&R and Production teams
- Assist with quality control measures, such as test pressings and artwork sign offs
- Collate, place and distribute product orders for the team
- Assist with streaming analysis and playlist suggestions
- Schedule monthly A&R team meeting and circulate agenda/minutes
- Check, update and track status of label copy for both physical and digital releases
- Ensure all newly created digital masters and assets are archived
- Assist with scheduling of international releases for UK release
- Book couriers and travel as required
- Keep track of budgets and approve payments
- Attend meetings and distribute minutes and feedback where required
- Interest in and understanding of catalogue music
- Ability to prioritise and manage workload
- Adaptable and able to use initiative
- Ability to communicate and liaise with all levels and departments within the business
- Highly organised with proven administrative skills
- Proficient in Microsoft Outlook, Word, PowerPoint and Excel
- Great attention to detail
Bonus Tracks: Your Benefits
- Group Personal Pension Scheme (between 3% and 9%)
- Private Medical Insurance
- 25 paid days of annual leave
- Interest Free Season Ticket Loan available
- Holiday Purchase scheme
- Dental and Travel Insurance options
- Cycle to Work Scheme
- Salary Sacrifice Cars
- Subsidised Gym Membership
- Employee Discounts (Reward Gateway)
Just So You Know…
The company presents this job description as a guide to the major areas and duties for which the jobholder is accountable. However, the business operates in an environment that demands change and the jobholder's specific responsibilities and activities will vary and develop. Therefore, the job description should be seen as indicative and not as a permanent, definitive and exhaustive statement.