Business Development Intern
Job title: Business Development Intern
Responsible to: Streaming Marketing Strategy Lead
Location of work: 4 Pancras Square, Kings Cross
Music is Universal
It’s the passionate and dedicated team at Universal Music UK who help make us Britain’s leading music company. From A&R to finance, legal to digital, sales to marketing, Universal Music is the place to grow and develop your career within a truly commercial and innovative business that leads in everything it does.
Everyone is welcome to apply for our roles, and we are determined to ensure that no applicant or employee receives less favourable treatment because of gender, race, disability, sexual orientation, religion, belief, age, marital status, background, pregnancy or caring responsibilities. We also recognise the importance of diversity of thought within our teams and are fully committed to embracing the talents of people with autism, dyslexia, ADHD and other forms of neurocognitive variation.
We will always seek to make appropriate adjustments to recruitment, workplaces, and work processes to be fully inclusive to people with different needs and working styles. If you need us to make any reasonable adjustments for you from application onwards, including alternatives to the online form or to disclose a neurocognitive condition, please email [email protected]
The A Side: A Day in The Life
UMC is the label responsible for ensuring the continued success of Universal Music Group’s world class catalogue of recordings. We work with some of the most successful, innovative, timeless, and respected artists of all time, continuing to grow their audiences across multiple entry points and platforms and keep the world listening.
From The Beatles to Massive Attack, through to the soundtracks of Disney and new albums from legends such as The Specials, UMC develops strategies across audio, video, marketing, social, streaming and product development.
Our vision is a world where music doesn’t have a sell-by date. We believe music is timeless and as guardians of the best music catalogues in the world, we use our passion and knowledge to help people find their new favourite song, whether it is 2 days or 2 decades old.
Our purpose is to continually spark a connection and reconnection with music that matters, drawing on new content, new platforms, and new moments. We give momentarily forgotten music the chance to reconnect with new and unexpected audiences through great storytelling regardless of generation and genre.
As a core member of the Business Development team, you’ll be responsible for supporting the operation of the team, with particular emphasis on efficient communication flow, responsive reporting, and accurate setup of key project information on internal & external systems. You'll work closely with the Marketing, Label Operations, Data Insights and UMG's Central Commercial teams.
The B Side: Skills & Experience
- Reporting on additional partner support post release using DSP provided dashboards (e.g. Spotify for Artists, Amazon Music For Artists) & the UMG suite of analytics tools
- Liaise with Data Insights team to generate week on week streaming growth of key releases, highlighting streaming spikes and potential reasons for this (e.g. TikTok trend/playlist add/promo)
- Prepare internal sales/stock reports for wider team using Universal Music reporting systems
- Sharing and highlighting key commercial and market information to the wider team such a pre-order trackers, competitor schedules
- Prepare and send the UMC weekly release worklist to commercial team
- Understanding each platform’s playlist ecosystem and keeping the wider label teams updated with major playlist additions for our music
- Build the relationship & take ownership of the pitching into our internal UMG Owned & Operated / uDiscover playlist team
- Collaborate closely with the wider marketing, label & promo teams, providing information where required
- Assisting in pitching tracks to digital partners, e.g.
- Gather new release assets to support pitching – press shots, liners etc
- Collating info for weekly pitch email templates for all DSPs
- Completing pitch forms for DSPs and our Central Digital Partnerships Team
- Assist with compiling artist presentation decks for adhoc & regular meetings with commercial partners
- Managing Spotify Label Inventory allocation requests and coordination of asset delivery between Marketing and Central Digi Partnerships teams
- Manage the free product system for wider UMC team
- Tracking licensing log requests and logging in meet
- Tracking physical/digital links and passing onto marketing team for use within linkfires, mailers etc
- A passion for & broad knowledge of multiple musical genres and audiences; a love of music across the decades is a bonus
- Display initiative, with a proactive, energetic approach to work
- Strong, clear communication & interpersonal skills
- Excellent attention to detail
- Excellent IT skills; must be proficient in PowerPoint, Word, Excel, Google Docs, and comfortable with learning new systems, e.g., proprietary UMG tracking tools
- Knowledge of third-party data platforms such as Spotify For Artists, Amazon Music For Artists, Apple Music For Artists is a bonus
Bonus Tracks: Your Benefits
- Group Personal Pension Scheme (between 3% and 9%)
- Private Medical Insurance
- 25 paid days of annual leave
- Interest Free Season Ticket Loan available
- Holiday Purchase scheme
- Dental and Travel Insurance options
- Cycle to Work Scheme
- Salary Sacrifice Cars
- Subsidised Gym Membership
- Employee Discounts (Reward Gateway)
Just So You Know…
The company presents this job description as a guide to the major areas and duties for which the jobholder is accountable. However, the business operates in an environment that demands change and the jobholder's specific responsibilities and activities will vary and develop. Therefore, the job description should be seen as indicative and not as a permanent, definitive and exhaustive statement.