Vice President, Employee Health & Safety
We at UMG are the world’s leading music company. In everything we do, we are committed to artistry, innovation, and entrepreneurship. We own and operate a broad array of businesses engaged in recorded music, music publishing, merchandising, and audiovisual content in more than 60 countries. We identify and develop recording artists and songwriters, and we produce, distribute and promote the most critically acclaimed and commercially successful music to delight and entertain fans around the world.
The Vice President, Employee Health & Safety will be responsible for providing strategic direction and leadership for UMG’s Employee Health & Safety programs and delivering best in class solutions. The role will continually develop, launch, and support the process and facilitation of UMG’s Employee Health Safety Program and be a resource to help solve issues in a preventative manner to ensure we maintain a safer work and community environment. This role will be expected to organize multiple teams, compliance efforts and gain results through influence and operational execution. This position takes a lead role in advising the company on a wide range of issues and undertakes a central coordinating role for the development and implementation of employee health and safety programs and policies.
Job Duties/Responsibilities Include:
- Provides vision, leadership, and technical expertise to set and refine the strategy of the Employee Health & Safety function.
- Design, implement, and continuously improve employee health & safety strategy and programs consistent with industry best practices, defining short- and long-term objectives and tactical plans to reach goals.
- Define and implement UMG’s COVID management approach, response, and overarching strategy including interfacing with public health officials as required.
- Provide technical expertise and thought leadership, create synergies and leverage knowledge, personnel, best practices, and resources across the organization. Engage with leadership and stakeholders across global operations to drive program effectiveness.
- Maintains current knowledge on existing and pending legislation relating to occupational health and injury and ensures that program design reflects the most recent standards and regulations; recommends enhancements or modifications as required.
- Evaluates workplace environments, equipment, or practices to ensure compliance with safety standards, public health legislation, and government regulations, e.g., proper ventilation, exhaust equipment, lighting, or other conditions.
- Act as a key collaborator with GSO, Legal, Facilities, Employee Relations, Risk Management, Human Resources, Finance, etc. on related protocols and programs.
- Leads the establishment and implementation of effective company-wide employee safety programs, procedures, and ongoing training with the goal of establishing and maintaining a safety-first mindset among all employees and leaders.
- Establish and oversee the on-site EH&S Committee and in their activities including self-audits, awareness, program or task development, communication, and recognition programs.
- Conducts various EHS inspections, audits, and assessments to observe behaviors and conditions and to verify the appropriate implementation and effectiveness of EHS controls, programs, and corrective measures.
- Minimum 10 years of progressive experience with 5+ years of Health and Safety Management.
- Undergraduate degree required in industrial hygiene, safety engineering, safety management, or closely related field, Master's degree preferred.
- Preference given to those with Professional Certifications (CSP – Certified Safety Professional; CIH-Certified Industrial Hygienist).
- Music industry or other media, film, production, entertainment industry experience preferred.
- Demonstrated ability to establish, implement, and manage best practice health & safety programs.
- Proven leadership and teamwork skills with demonstrated ability to both work collaboratively and influence those with whom no formal hierarchical relationship exists.
- Highly developed interpersonal communication skills with the ability to interact with employees effectively, persuasively, and tactfully at all levels of the organization.
- Highly effective presentation and training delivery skills.
- Demonstrated working knowledge of safety rules and regulations.
- Demonstrated ability to quickly establish credibility and lead by influence across all levels of the organization, from senior leadership to individual contributors.
- Demonstrable ability to communicate, present and influence credibly and effectively at all levels of the organization, including executive level.
- Excellent project management skills, with particular emphasis on effectively identifying requirements and articulating them successfully within project plans.
- Experience of working within a multi-stakeholder environment where competing needs must be managed effectively to deliver results.
- Requires a high degree of sound, independent judgment and capability and experience in managing operations at scale.
- Experience in assisting or leading/managing, complex issues within multiple physical environments as well as navigating a corporate structure.
- Competitive Compensation Package including Salary, Benefits and Generous 401k Savings Plan
- Paid Time Off – Paid Holidays, “Gift Week”, Summer Fridays
- Student Loan Repayment Assistance
- Employee Developmental Support
- Annual Gym Reimbursement Package
- Pet Insurance, plus muchmore!
Universal Music Group is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
This job description only provides an overview of job responsibilities that are subject to change.