Senior Director, A&R/ A&R Research
A division of Universal Music Group, the world’s leading music company, Republic Records is home to an all-star roster of multi-platinum, award-winning legends and superstar artists such as Ariana Grande, Black Thought, Drake, Florence + the Machine, Greta Van Fleet, Hailee Steinfeld, Jack Johnson, James Blake, James Bay, Jessie J, John Mellencamp, Jonas Brothers, Julia Michaels, Kid Cudi, Lil Wayne, Lorde, Metro Boomin, NAV, Nicki Minaj, Of Monsters and Men, Pearl Jam, Post Malone, Seth MacFarlane, Stevie Wonder, Taylor Swift, The Weeknd and more.
Founded by brothers and chief executives Monte and Avery Lipman, it is also comprised of innovative business ventures, including American Recordings, Boominati Worldwide, Brushfire, Casablanca Records, Cash Money, Lava Records, XO, Young Money, among others. Republic also maintains a long-standing strategic alliance with Universal Music Latin Entertainment (J Balvin and Karol G).
How we LEAD:
The ideal A&R candidate will be highly creative but have a strong business sense, communication skills, and follow-through. They will be an expert in a variety of genres and have a deep understanding of and relationships with those genres’ key players and marketplace trends. They will have forward-thinking ideas on how to identify, select and guide artists to commercial success.
How you’ll CREATE:
- Identify and sign new artists for IMPERIAL that stand out as unique and individual. Artists identified for signing should be targeted based on research, analytics, and market data
- Understand and have extensive knowledge of the Independent distribution business model, competition, and overall landscape
- Meet and correspond with potential and existing artists to establish trusted relationships
- Candidate needs to be expert in the deal making process and have highly developed negotiation skills to ensure that we are competitive, adaptable and creative
- Have a deep understanding and experience with data and research tools including but not limited to Nielsen, DSP analytics, ChartMetric, Meddling, Social and internal data
- Candidate must have a comprehensive understanding and extensive experience on the Tik Tok platform and other social media platforms (including Instagram, Snapchat and others) where music discovery and development takes place
- Deep understanding of the digital commerce space including the DSP artist portals and the key artist development and feeder playlists
- Maintain an A&R tracking and deal grid to ensure urgency in the courting and signing process and for tracking / reevaluating competitive deals
- Attend regular A&R, staff, scheduling, promotions, marketing, and creative meetings to ensure strong communication with the entire IMPERIAL team
- Assist operations in securing lyrics, writer splits, musician credits and all other necessary label copy
- Maintain a professional, consistent, ethical style of operation, operating with integrity within our company, the creative community and with our artists
- Maintain awareness and understanding of modern musical, cultural, technological and production trends to keep our artists, their songs and their production values relevant
- Maintain strong relationships with producers, songwriters and other creatives while constantly developing new contacts to expand
- Maintain strong relationships with managers, agents, promoters, and commercial partners to stay in the loop on new and emerging artists
- Experience working with Audio files, artwork files and Dropbox required
Bring your VIBE:
- College degree
- Deep knowledge of and passion for Music industry and cultural trends
- Passion for record consumption data and the ability to scout using various social networking sites
- Fully adept in Microsoft Outlook, Word, Excel, Google Sheets etc.
- Strong analytical skills
- Strong communication skills
- Strong presentation skills
- Self-starter mentality and drive
- Requires occasional travel
- Experience with editing software, photoshop, protools or any other music software a plus
- Competitive Compensation Package including Salary, Benefits and Generous 401k Savings Plan
- Paid Time Off – Paid Holidays, “Gift Week”, Summer Fridays
- Student Loan Repayment Assistance
- Employee Developmental Support
- Annual Gym Reimbursement Package
- Pet Insurance, plus much more!
Universal Music Group is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Disclaimer: This job description only provides an overview of job responsibilities that are subject to change.