Director A&R, UM Latino
Universal Music Latino is the world’s leading Latin entertainment company. The company is home to some of the most prolific names in Latin music, including J Balvin, Karol G, Jhay Cortez, Juanes, Alejandro Fernandez, Los Tigres del Norte, Luis Fonsi, Juan Gabriel, Gloria Trevi, amongst many others.
How we LEAD:
This role will be responsible for strategically managing initiatives involving Universal Music artists and the larger creator and influencer community. This person will work collaboratively with internal business units, Labels, Management, and artists to identify and recognize opportunities to drive consumption. Developing and maintaining strong and effective relationships with creators/influencers, key figure heads within trends, labels and artists will be key to their success. This is a key role within our company and requires someone who is creative, analytical, passionate about music and demonstrates strong power of influence.
How you’ll CREATE:
- Monitor the recording process to best ensure timely delivery, on budget recordings, artist satisfaction and commercial viability
- Constantly look for new artists that will appropriately fit within Universal Music Latino current roster, while standing out as unique and individual and maintaining Universal Music Latino philosophy and criteria for new artists
- Maintain a professional, consistent, ethical style of operation, operating with integrity within our company, the creative community and with our artists
- Meet and correspond with potential and existing artists to establish trusted relationships in order to discuss musical and personal vision as well as goals and calling
- Attend regular A&R, staff, scheduling, promotions, marketing, and creative meetings to ensure strong communication with the entire label team
- Manage budgetary items effectively and efficiently, to ensure company assets are utilized in accordance with Universal Music Group policy and are aligned with the Universal Music Latino and Divisional Strategic Plan
- Maintain knowledge and awareness of Universal Music Latino release schedule and all associated deadlines
- Collaborate with A&R team to hire the appropriate mastering engineer on each project, collect all pertinent feedback from artists and producers, and ensure the highest possible sonic quality delivery
- Assist A&R Administration in securing lyrics, writer splits, musician credits and all other necessary label copy for each recording
- Manage recording process of each artist project according to label deadlines and within label pre-determined budget through mastering and delivery to label and marketing teams
- Maintain strong relationships with producers, songwriters and other creatives while constantly developing new contacts to expand our record production talent pool
- Maintain awareness and understanding of modern musical, cultural, technological and production trends to keep our artists, their songs and their production values relevant
- Maintain strong relationships with managers, radio programmers, promoters, and commercial partners to stay in the loop on new and emerging artists
- As directed and approved accompany artists on tour dates and appearances for the purpose of encouragement, maintaining healthy relationships, awareness, performance critique and development
- Provide representation at showcases, competitions and other industry events where new artists are performing and be available to speak at or judge performances at these events when appropriate
- Other duties and responsibilities as assigned
Bring your VIBE:
- An understanding of Latin Music Internationally.
- The process of song writing
- General knowledge of studio production
- Music industry and cultural trends
- Record consumption data and the ability to scout using various social networking sites
- Microsoft Outlook, Word, Excel
- Strong relational skills
- Strong communication skills
- Strong presentation skills
- Requires occasional travel
- 5 to 7 years of experience in Music Company.
- College degree preferred
Competitive Compensation Package including Salary, Benefits and Generous 401k Savings Plan with company matching
Flexible Paid Time Off plus Paid Holidays, 2 week “Winter Break” & Wellness Fridays (year-round)
Medical, Dental and Vision Insurance
Student Loan Repayment Assistance & Tuition Reimbursement (after 12 months of service)
Robust Employee Assistance Program (for you and your loved ones)
Annual Well-Being Allowance which includes Fitness, Travel, Home Enhancements, Nutrition, and Spa Treatment Reimbursements
Universal Music Group is an Equal Opportunity Employer
All UMG employees are currently required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 or provide proof of a negative PCR or Antigen test before entering any Company offices unless they have been approved for an exemption or unless prohibited by applicable law.
Disclaimer: This job description only provides an overview of job responsibilities that are subject to change.